News:

Latest Movie Updates : Cinebuzz.in
Latest Update on Rajini Movie  Enthiran / Endhiran - Rajini - The Robot

Main Menu

Honda CRF250X

Started by aruljothi, Jul 06, 2009, 06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aruljothi

Honda's entry into the performance four-stroke enduro market was a long time coming but the wait proved worthwhile. Honda's CRF250X was introduced in 2004 and has steadily improved ever since.

The compact 249cc four-stroke single-cylinder has fantastic bottom end drive and despite a piston and crankshaft assembly that weighs less than a decent steak, is remarkably tractable down low and very resistant to stalling.

This is one little thumper that has no need for a big rev in order to make quick progress. Even on standard 14/53 gearing first gear was rarely required.

Negotiating terrain that your average dirt bike rider would describe as fairly extreme the CRF250X had no problem pulling the standard gearing, even up some extremely challenging hill-climbs.

More than once when negotiating some tight single trail I hit the throttle a little too hard and found myself having to use plenty of body language to try and keep the CRF250X pointing in the right direction as the front wheel climbed its way into the air.

The bottom end pull is really quite incredible for a 250cc four-stroke and it caught me out quite a few times. The bottom end torque builds into a strong and useable mid-range with plenty of over-rev available should you need to hold a gear between corners.

To say the five-speed gearbox on the Honda CRF250X is smooth and light is understating just how hot-knife-through-butter the shift action is.

A newborn could shift gears on the CRF250X without hurting their toe. Likewise, the clutch is so light it is a wonder it actually works.

Showa provides the fully adjustable 47mm inverted forks and single shock which go about their business with a minimum of fuss.

Remember, the Honda CRF250X is no old school trail bike so don't for one second go thinking that upon taking delivery you immediately need to wind up the clickers to make the suspension more taut.

This is an ultra high performance enduro bike.

Spend a day on the standard settings before tuning yourself to a standstill with the clickers as unless you are a talented pilot you might find that you need to soften things off a little rather than the other way round.

That said however the forks on the latest model CRF250X certainly don't seem quite as unflappable as I remember the front end of the original model.

Starting the machine is as easy as pressing the button. I never got around to trying the kick-starter back up however I purposely left the ignition on whenever I was stopped in order to try and highlight any deficiencies in the electrical system but found none.

The ease of use follows through to the ergonomics. The controls fall perfectly to hand and despite never owning a CRF250X jumping aboard was like being reunited with a lost love. The wide footpegs offer great purchase and even the seat is relatively agreeable.

ADR registration allows you the freedom to ride the CRF250X anywhere a licensed vehicle may tread.

A high 958mm seat height is a side effect of the high-performance nature of the CRF250X but with 345mm of ground clearance, 280mm of fork travel and 315mm axle travel, it is perfectly understandable.

The build quality of the CRF250X is admirable. The plastics and alloy parts all exude an air of quality. Attractively finished fork legs, standard Barkbuster handguards and a trick aluminium frame all help to make the CRF250X a stunning looking machine.

A comprehensive spares kit comes with the CRF250X and consists of a set of Renthal bars, headlight, basic tripmeter and a set of Dunlop 742F and 756R MX tyres. All leftovers from the ADR registration process the machines go through in Australia that Honda kindly throws in with the purchase of a CRF250X.

Until the end of July Honda are also throwing in a quality took kit, alloy ramp and $750 of store credit that can be used for accessories or a discount off the machine. Furthermore, customers that finance their purchase through Honda also score their first service free.