News:

MyKidsDiary.in :: Capture your kids magical moment and create your Online Private Diary for your kids

Main Menu

250 IIM-A students await placements

Started by dhilipkumar, Mar 11, 2009, 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhilipkumar

250 IIM-A students await placements

Ahmedabad: In the backdrop of global recessionary pressures, the Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, began its placement process on Wednesday.The placement process that might take around a week to get over, will see the placement of around 250 students. Last year, 90 companies had visited the campus for the final placements but this year, the number has reduced, according to sources.

"The placements will be impacted at the institute due to the global cues, but we are confident that we will be able to manage. After all, we are at the top of the pyramid and whatever the impact, it will be felt the least here," said Prof Samir Barua, Director, a few days prior to the placement process.

On Day-Zero of the placements, around 10 companies visited the campus as compared to 25 in the previous year and 20 students were placed. The finance sector is no longer the hot favourite on campus this year, and were almost absent on the first day of the final placements. Students are now looking at consultancy and marketing as the options this time around with PSUs also being perceived as a good option. Many others have decided to turn entrepreneurs, though it is a not a new trend, according to sources. Every year, there are a group of students who choose to opt out of the placements and do their own thing.

Officially, IIM-A was tight lipped about the proceedings of the first two days of placements and the placement coordinator said that details would be given out only at the end of the entire process, which is likely to go on for eight days.

The pay packages offered have not been disclosed but the students are keeping their minds open. "I do not have any rigid choices. I will see what offers I get and then, hopefully, if I get more than one, I will choose the best one. Right now, I am keeping all my options open," said a student appearing for the placements.