News:

MyKidsDiary.in :: Capture your kids magical moment and create your Online Private Diary for your kids

Main Menu

U.S. visa norms, requirements, options

Started by sajiv, Jul 29, 2009, 08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sajiv

U.S. visa norms, requirements, options

Do you have a query on the issue of visas or other services provided by the U.S. Consulate in Chennai? The Consulate will reply through this column on Wednesdays. A broad introduction was published on July 22. E-mail your questions to reporting.thehindu@ gmail.com

I am a senior citizen. I obtained my first visa in early 1970s. I worked with a foreign airlines in Dubai when 10-year multiple-entry visas were issued for my wife and I in October 1999. We have travelled four times on them. During the last entry in February 2008, fingerprints were taken. What documents do we need for renewal?

Gudalur Raghavachari Govindarajan

Since your visa expires in October, you may apply by booking an appointment through the VFS website and attend a personal interview. As your visa is still valid, you may book through the renewal option. The website http://chennai.usconsulate.gov/bustravel.html has information on documentary requirements.

I applied for a non-immigrant tourist visa and was interviewed on May 12, 2009 but was not granted a visa. A retired employee of the Accountant General's office, I am 61 and unmarried. I want to visit tourist spots in the U.S. I live with my sister's family, and her daughter and her husband who are in the U.S. will sponsor my visit. I have no immovable property and my earnings are in the form of bank deposits. I have no intention of settling in another country at my age. I have to make a personal appearance each year for the continuation of my pension. I have many interests in Chennai and positively intend to return. Probably due to difficulty in following the U.S. accent, I was not able to communicate my intentions properly. What further documents or guarantees would be required to get a tourist visa?

T. Lakshmi

Section 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act requires us to consider all applicants as intending immigrants until they establish otherwise by demonstrating family, social, economic, and professional ties to India that would compel them to return after a temporary stay. While documentary evidence of ties to India may augment an applicant's case, the consular officer relies most on what an applicant says during the interview to determine eligibility. If in the future there is a change in your circumstance or you have credible supporting evidence that may either have been overlooked or was not presented earlier, you may re-apply.

My wife of 19 years who is a U.S. citizen by birth has filed an I 130 (Petition for Alien Relative) with the consular services in the U.S. I am now in the U.S. on a tourist visa visiting my wife and children (who are U.S. citizens by birth) and will return to India shortly. My tourist visa is valid till 2012. Can I continue to travel to the U.S. while my papers are under process?

Secondly, I have requested that my Adjustment of Status to a Green Card Holder be done in India: that was what the Homeland Security officer suggested here. How long will the process take?

Meenakshi Sundaram

You may travel as long as you hold a valid visa and your purpose of travel is related to the visa. However, it is the immigration officer at the port of entry who is the final authority in letting anyone enter the U.S.

On your second question, adjustment of status can be done only in the U.S. Any related questions must be directed to the immigration office (USCIS) in the U.S. If you wish to opt for consular processing, your immigrant visa file should be transferred to the consulate after you pay the visa fee and submit the documents at the National Visa Centre in Portsmouth.