News:

MyKidsDiary.in :: Capture your kids magical moment and create your Online Private Diary for your kids

Main Menu

PC General Configuration and Tools to Update / Service

Started by karthick, Apr 17, 2008, 12:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karthick

PC General Configuration and Tools to Update / Service

How do I format my hard drive?

You shouldn't format you're pc if everything is running smoothly. I would just leave it alone. Some pc users format every year or so, but if your pc has no problems just leave it alone. When you format your hard drive all information will be lost. They could be recovered, buy it's almost impossible, especially if you format and then install your Operating System (Windows). So make sure you back up all your important files to CD media or tape disks. Once you have BACKED UP all your important files, you can begin to format.

The format that I will show here is the basic one, with no other parameters included (I don't find the other options are necessary). You can format through Windows if you like.

Go to Start->Run and type in "format c:" (without quotes). It will ask you if you are sure, and if you backed up all your data choose yes (type yes) then enter. You will be booted into the command prompt where the formatting will take place. This may take a while depending on your machine.

After the format is done you can install your Operating System and everything should run smoother. Install any programs you want and also put back all your backed up files into the hard drive.

For a more detailed guide on how to format and install your Operating System, go to the Format Guide.

How do I install/reinstall my Operating System?

When your hard drive gives lots of errors, you usually will reinstall your OS if the errors can't be fixed. By reinstalling your OS you will have a smoother running PC. Junk build up after using your pc a couple of years, so reinstalling wouldn't sound like a bad option.

Before you reinstall, make sure you have:

1. the original full version CD
   2. a startup disk to load all the basic/necessary drivers
   3. a backup of all your important data onto CD media, or other backup devices

If this is all done then, we can begin by first formatting your hard drive. After the format is done reboot (ctrl+alt+del) and go into your system bios. Check with your PC manual if you don't know how to do this. Or email me and I'll see if I can provide any assistance. In your BIOS, make sure you set the boot option to boot from the floppy first.

Save the changes and insert your floppy (startup disk) into the drive. It should then copy all the files from your floppy disk onto your hard drive (if not copy them manually by typing: copy *.* c:\windows). Then reboot again (ctrl+alt+del) and go into the BIOS again. This time set the boot option to the cdrom drive. Save this and put in the CD. Make sure you take out the floppy. The cd should run automatically and the install will begin. Just follow the steps and you should be all set in about thirty minutes.

What are temp files and how do I delete them?

Temp files are temporary/junk files left behind by a program. These files are usually safe to remove, and they should be removed by the program that created them. But just to be on the safe side, remove them only when they are over a day old. They shouldn't be of any use by then. Temp files take up hard drive space, so you should remove them.

To remove temp files go to Start->Find->Files or Folders. Then in the Named field type in *.tmp and in the Look In field type in c: (or whatever drive you are searching for temp files). Then click OK. This will then search for all the temporary files on your hard drive. You may then delete any that are a day old.

What is the startup disk and what is it used for?

The startup disk contains the basic files needed for the pc to function properly. It is used mainly to install/reinstall an Operating System. To create the startup disk, go to Start->Settings->Control Panel->Add/Remove->Startup Disk. Then put in an empty floppy disk into your floppy drive. Click on the Create Disk button. The essential files will be copied to the disk. If you don't have a Operating System installed and want to create a startup disk, you can get one at Bootdisk.

What is the difference between a upgrade and a full install of an Operating System?

An upgrade will require an older version of Windows to be installed. So you can't install it on a empty or formatted hard drive. A full install will let you install on a empty hard drive with no Operating System or even one with an Operating System.

Another difference is, of course, the price. You will pay more for the full version of the Operating System.

Why does my PC restart when I choose to Shutdown?

A lot of Windows 98SE users are having this problem. When they choose to shutdown, the pc restarts instead. This is a "bug" in Win98SE. Microsoft has a fix for this. Download the fix here. Just click on it and Apply the fix and it should fix the glitch.

What is the difference between a Retail and OEM version of Software/Operating System/Products?

A lot of people may have this question in their heads. To keep it simple, there is absolutely no big difference. The only thing you don't get on a OEM version is that you don't get tech support and some things may not come included. Some OEM software might have the companies logo included in the software (DELL is one of them).

One thing that you will definitely notice is the price. OEM versions are usually cheaper, which saves you money. I usually try to get OEM if they are available because I usually don't need tech support and if something is not included (ex: cables for drives) I can get them somewhere else. One more thing, before I forget, is the warranty.

If I'm correct OEM products do NOT have a warranty. Or if they do it's most likely must shorter than Retail versions.
A part of Development in Our Website Front Page
www.itacumens.com

We simple build everything with sense
----karthick....