News:

MyKidsDiary.in :: Capture your kids magical moment and create your Online Private Diary for your kids

Main Menu

Which netbooks will prove good enough for most users?

Started by dhilipkumar, May 11, 2009, 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhilipkumar

Which netbooks will prove good enough for most users?

The concept of "good enough" comes into play very often with personal computers. The popularity of Windows, perhaps, says it all in this regard.In my recent review of a Consumer Reports netbook article, I noted that 12 inch screens, which are just starting to appear from netbook vendors, are a huge step up from the standard 10 inch screen. You can see this in the picture below.

On the left is a ThinkPad X40 with a 12 inch screen, on the right, an Asus Eee PC 1000 with a 10 inch screen (for a better picture of an almost identical model, see the cover of the June 2009 issue of Consumer Reports). The X40 screen is 9.5 inches wide by 7.25 high, the netbook screen is 8.5 inches wide by 5 high.

I've used enough netbooks to conclude that ten inch screens (and the necessarily smallish keyboards) are appropriate only for short term use. Few people, for example, would be happy writing a term paper on a 10 inch netbook. But, a 12 inch screen (and the resulting increase in screen resolution and keyboard size) is good enough for long term use.

I've traveled with 10 inch netbooks, and my shoulder was very happy carrying them, as opposed to a full sized laptop. But, over time, the inadequacy of the small screen and keyboard, drove me to the 12 inch screen and full sized keyboard on the X40.I'm not alone in the opinion that 12 inch screens are good enough for extended use.On his Security Now podcast a few days ago, Steve Gibson noted that he does a lot of work at Starbucks using the 12 inch screen on a tablet computer.

I recently purchased a tablet PC as part of my new Starbucks kit because I'm using an external keyboard, the old Northgate OmniKey 102 ... I really like it [the tablet computer]. It's a 12.1-inch screen, 1400 by 10-something resolution, so lots of resolution.

He spends many entire days at Starbucks, working with his tablet computer and external keyboard. For him, the 12 inch screen is good enough for long term use, even if the keyboards on 12 inch laptops are not.Over at PC magazine, Tim Bajarin, in discussing The Netbook Conundrum recently wrote that his research "shows that a lot of portable computer buyers would also prefer systems that are slightly bigger than a netbook, yet in the same price range."Enter the $550 Samsung NC20. If this new 12-inch (1280x800) netbook is of the same quality (I haven't yet used one or seen many reviews) as the highly regarded NC10, it will be the only laptop I recommend to clients.

The price seems very fair, if not an outright bargain. Many people who were previously priced out of the market for 12 inch portable computers now have cheaper options.

Not too big, not too small, not too expensive. There may be a 12 inch portable computer in your future.Update: A couple reviews noted that the Samsung NC20 has a very glossy screen, so it won't be on my preferred list. Still, there will soon be many more 12 or 11.5 inch netbooks to chose from. Eventually one manufacturer will hit a home run with one of them.

computerworld

dhoni

more company has releasing netbook with many feature on this
this should be able in developing in the main feature to get this