CAT now online, and over 10 days

Started by ganeshbala, Apr 28, 2009, 09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ganeshbala

CAT now online, and over 10 days

Eschewing the paperbased format that has been in place for the last 33 years, the Common Admission Test (CAT) for admissions to the seven Indian Institutes of Managements (IIM) is now going to be a computer-based test from this year onwards.

Instead of a single-day country-wide examination, the test will be conducted in a window of about ten days sometime at the end of the calendar year. The test is used for admissions to IIMs at Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Kolkata, Indore, Kozhikode, Lucknow, and Shillong The test will be conducted by Prometric, a subsidiary of Educational Testing Service (ETS), which conducts the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Prometric has been chosen by the IIMs from a shortlist which included UKbased Pearson VUE that conducts the GMAT, and Bangalore- based Eduquity Ventures that conducts the entrance test for BITS Pilani.

According to a release from IIM Bangalore, the test will allow candidates some leeway in choosing test dates, use biometric identification for enhanced security, and provide for video monitoring to eliminate any scope for cheating. IIM Bangalore has also maintained that the 'computer-based format would improve communication between candidates and IIMs in terms of programme information, test delivery, receipt of admit cards, and receipt of score reports.' The reason given by IIMs for the move to a paperless format is the staggering rise in the number of candidates who take CAT. From 2003 to 2008, a period of five years, the number of candidates has risen from 95,000 to 2.5 lakh. This huge increase of approximately 160 per cent, has resulted in severe strain on the administrative system of the IIMs to conduct CAT in its existing format.

supriyanaidu

Thanks for info. I just came across Snapwiz (http://www.snapwiz.co.in) today by chance. I think they have developed a very useful site with complete full length test and useful reports. They have 6 tests with solutions and they also project your percentile score.for the last minute preperation it will be very helpful.Now a days there is promotional offer going on.i registered through promotional code SW100CAT
you can also try this

ganeshbala

yes, thanks for the Link..