News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

Main Menu

Students prove their words’ worth in spelling bee contest

Started by sajiv, Apr 26, 2009, 01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sajiv

Students prove their words' worth in spelling bee contest

CHENNAI: Over 600 students from the State gathered at the Vidyodaya Schools on Saturday to prove their word power. They were participating in the 'Spartan Spelling Bee' State-level competition.

Organised by Spartan Educational Events & Services, the contest was organised for school students from class I to XII, grouped into six categories. Students who topped the school-level and zonal-level rounds made it to Saturday's State-level contest.

Chief Executive of the company J. Selvin Sundararaj said students were tested on their vocabulary in different rounds such as dictation, jumbled words, check and spell (where students have to identify a misspelt word in a list of words and correct it) and the oral round.

For a class VII student, the degree of difficulty in the final round would be competitive. Students in this category would be asked to spell and give the meaning of words such as acclaim, coerce fiasco and cavalry, he said.

"We involve a group of language experts to prepare the lists. We also give a booklet with over 1,000 words to students ahead of the contest. The event is aimed at building students' vocabulary and encourage them to use the dictionary often," said Mr. Selvin Sundararaj.

B. Shankararaman and Uma Shankararaman of Madurai had come to the city with their son Shyam Prasad, one of the participants in the senior category. "My son has opted for science in Plus Two, but I think language skills are important no matter which stream a student pursues. Today, companies are stressing the need for good communication skills. Such a contest helps students improve their language skills," Mr.Shankararaman said.

Class III student S. Kevin said his test was "very easy." Taking a break between two rounds, he said: "I have been preparing for this competition...I was revising on my way to this place also," he said.

R.I.Ambalavanan

Quote from: sajiv on Apr 26, 2009, 01:14 PM
Students prove their words' worth in spelling bee contest

CHENNAI: Over 600 students from the State gathered at the Vidyodaya Schools on Saturday to prove their word power. They were participating in the 'Spartan Spelling Bee' State-level competition.

Organised by Spartan Educational Events & Services, the contest was organised for school students from class I to XII, grouped into six categories. Students who topped the school-level and zonal-level rounds made it to Saturday's State-level contest.

Chief Executive of the company J. Selvin Sundararaj said students were tested on their vocabulary in different rounds such as dictation, jumbled words, check and spell (where students have to identify a misspelt word in a list of words and correct it) and the oral round.

For a class VII student, the degree of difficulty in the final round would be competitive. Students in this category would be asked to spell and give the meaning of words such as acclaim, coerce fiasco and cavalry, he said.

"We involve a group of language experts to prepare the lists. We also give a booklet with over 1,000 words to students ahead of the contest. The event is aimed at building students' vocabulary and encourage them to use the dictionary often," said Mr. Selvin Sundararaj.

B. Shankararaman and Uma Shankararaman of Madurai had come to the city with their son Shyam Prasad, one of the participants in the senior category. "My son has opted for science in Plus Two, but I think language skills are important no matter which stream a student pursues. Today, companies are stressing the need for good communication skills. Such a contest helps students improve their language skills," Mr.Shankararaman said.

Class III student S. Kevin said his test was "very easy." Taking a break between two rounds, he said: "I have been preparing for this competition...I was revising on my way to this place also," he said.
Wordsworth Spellingbee International does not give gifts to the children who have placed themselves in the State Level Competition as given in their brochure. IT seems to be money laundering way. If you see their books any layman can find not less than 5 mistakes. So my advice is not to fall prey to their money making mission.

Mistico

Do you know where can I read preparatory booklets online?