News:

MyKidsDiary.in :: Capture your kids magical moment and create your Online Private Diary for your kids

Main Menu

Bionic Commando [Xbox 360 Preview]

Started by VelMurugan, Apr 02, 2009, 12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VelMurugan

Bionic Commando [Xbox 360 Preview]

Introduction

A few months back, we reviewed Bionic Commando: Rearmed on the Xbox 360; we called it the best way to spend your 800 MS points on XBLA. This hi-def take on the popular side-scroller of the 80s proved to be a major hit for Capcom and quickly became the highest selling game on XBLA.

There are many reasons for the success of the remake of a classic game; most importantly, there is a large user base that is ready to consume games they played 10-15 years back on their 8-bit consoles, again in HD. Capcom has taken the re-creation of old titles very seriously, so much so that they decided Bionic Commando deserves much more than a 2D remake. The result is a completely revamped and reworked version of Bionic Commando, which is larger in scale, will offer a competitive multiplayer, and, yeah, is in 3D.

The 3D version, simply called Bionic Commando, is a direct sequel to the original game. I don't have plot details, I am not sure if the final game will be an open-world game (although it seems unlikely), and I have no specific details about the multiplayer; what I do have are some really good things to say about the core gameplay.

Source : techtree

VelMurugan

VelMurugan

Basic Info, Bionic Arm

Let me share some basic info about BC for those who are unaware about the series. In BC, you play a special operative of the government; you are part of a special unit that deals with training superior soldiers who have enhanced abilities. The original hero was called Ladd; the new guy is called Nathan Spencer. Nathan's bionic arm is capable of latching onto solid surfaces and helps him to swing across great distances.  He can also use his arm as a weapon and grab enemies.  The demo started off with a tutorial, where you learn the basics and the arm mechanics. After a few failed attempts, I eventually got the controls right, most importantly, the mechanics of the swing, which forms a major chunk of the gameplay.

Within minutes I was swinging through a fictional city, avoiding air-mines and crash-landing on enemies. I did some really cool things with the arm, latched onto enemies and pulled myself towards them, knocking them to the ground. I also picked up heavy objects and hurled them at the enemy, using the infrastructure as a weapon. You are equipped with a very powerful handgun as well; this is useful for long-range combat. The enemy AI was quite competent and proved to be quite challenging, attacking in groups and calling for back-up, etc.

The city is huge and easily accessible due to the arm. Some areas are highly radioactive, so you have to be careful; one wrong swing, and you will find yourself at the bottom of the city gulping down radiation. The demo was quite short and was over in about 20 min, but I got a good idea about the core gameplay. The combat is fun as well as challenging. Swinging around is a lot of fun. I expect a lot of puzzles and set-pieces in the final game. My initial experience with the game was quite satisfying and I am looking forward to the full game, especially the developers' take on the multiplayer. Check out the embedded videos to see the game in action.

Source : techtree

VelMurugan