News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

Main Menu

Apple Adopts Bold Market Strategy To Push Safari To Windows Users

Started by Kalyan, Mar 21, 2008, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalyan

Apple Adopts Bold Market Strategy To Push Safari To Windows Users

Since it came up with the Safari 3.1 web browser for Mac and Windows, Apple seems to have adopted a bit of an "aggressive" technique for making it popular among Internet consumers. And the way to do that is, of course... by updating something you've never actually installed on your computer to begin with?!...

Here is what Joe Wilcox reported on his Microsoft Watch blog: "Earlier today, Apple released the Safari 3.1 Web browser for Mac OS and Windows XP/Vista. A couple hours later, Apple Software Update popped up on my daughter's Sony VAIO, offering Safari 3.1 for download. I didn't recall seeing an earlier version installed on the laptop. And I made no mistake: The Apple updater offered installation of new software, not something that had been there before. Whoa."

Apple stated on the pop-up update installer that "Safari for Windows (in this case) is the fastest and easiest-to-use web browser for the PC. It displays web pages faster than any other browser and is filled with innovative features, all delivered in an efficient and elegant user interface."

On one hand, it's understandable that Apple is trying to promote its products by any means possible, but on the other hand, it could become quite annoying for some people who like to be in charge of what they have or not on their computers.

Apple still has a long way to go before reaching Microsoft's Internet Explorer's market share. If we think of it, it is still behind Firefox, which also grows stronger every day. Compared to IE's 74.8 percent of the market and Firefox 2.0's 17.2 percent, Apple has a lot to catch up from 5.7 percent.

Safari could be as fast as it gets, but it's far from being flawless. Earlier this month, PayPal's Chief Information Security Officer Michael Barrett said that Safari lacks two important anti-phishing security features to warn users every time they access a suspicious site.

Source : eFlux