Goa tourist's death not an accident: Second autopsy

Started by ravindar, Mar 09, 2008, 08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ravindar

Goa tourist's death not an accident: Second autopsy

Panaji: The Goa police have finally decided to probe the murder angle into the death of British tourist Scarlette Keeling.

This comes after a second autopsy reaffirmed fears that she might have been raped and killed.

The police is clearly under pressure and Goa's Tourism Minister Mickey Pacheco wrote to the state's Home Minister saying there was foul play involved in Scarlette's death and asked him and Chief Minister to dismiss the officials who tried to hush up the case.

""My minister has always been saying that he suspects some foul play. In fact, on the fifth of March, he had met the CM and the Home Minister and shared with them whatever facts he knew about this girl's death. The findings of the first autopsy report clearly shows that the stand of my minister has been vindicated. The girl was indeed raped and murdered," said Pacheco's OSD, Lyndon Monteiro.

"Officers with dubious integrity were trying to hush up the case and show it as a case of drowning. My minister has demanded that such officers of dubious integrity should not find a place in the police force in a civilised society. He has urged the CM to dismiss such officers," he said.

For Scarlette's family, the second autopsy report is a vindication of their stand. The report echoes the first autopsy report, which said that Scarlette died of drowning, but goes on to say that the death was not an accident, based on the bruises present on her body.

Sources in the Goa Medical College say it was up to the police to take the investigation forward after the first report.

The police, on their part, insist that they were doing their best.

"Our investigations are trying to see whether the death is homicidal or accidental. We do not want to hush up anything," explained SP (North Goa) Bosco George.

A spate of murders in the last few months has already dented Goa's reputation as a safe tourist destination. This latest revelation could make matters worse.

source:
ibnlive

MORE NEWS :
CLICK HERE