A cultural extravaganza gets under way at SRM University

Started by dwarakesh, Nov 24, 2008, 11:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarakesh

More than 300 students from about 20 colleges are competing for top honours at 'Panacea 08,' a three-day inter medical, dental and paramedical cultural festival at SRM University in Kattankulathur that commenced on Saturday.

Music director Bharadwaj inaugurated the festival with a brief speech, recalling his own student days in New Delhi.

"As a student, I used to take part in many such cultural festivals and it used to be great fun. Such events give you an opportunity to exhibit your talent and meet students from other institutions," he said.

"As a musician, I ask myself, what I have contributed to the society," he told students, adding that as a composer he gave pleasure and happiness to the common man through his songs.

He also reminded students to take up at least any one aspect of fine arts seriously during their college days.

He regretted that not many educational institutions offered professional training to students in fine arts and culture, which he said was very important to the youth.

Mr. Bharadwaj, a qualified chartered accountant, said the overall character of youth improved when they train in fine arts and demonstrate their talents in such forums.

He also sang a few lines of the song nyaabagam varudhey composed by him from the film Autograph that received a tremendous response.

T.R.Pachamuthu, Chancellor, SRM University, Vinod Kuchupillai, Director, Medical and Health Services, and James Pandian, Dean spoke on the occasion.