News:

Choose a design and let our professionals help you build a successful website   - ITAcumens

Main Menu

Preparing for Job, how to get ready for an interview

Started by dhilipkumar, Sep 07, 2008, 03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhilipkumar

Preparing for Job Searching

It doesn't matter what your reason is for job searching, your mind has to be right about it.  Attitude is what counts here.  Employers are looking for someone to do a job, but qualifications are not enough, they want someone that will be able to fit into the team, that will be able to adapt to the company, that will perform.  After all they are going to pay you for your services and they want to make sure that you are the RIGHT person for the job.

You can't expect anyone else to see how great you are, if you don't believe it yourself.  So forget the past, and look forward to a great future.  Start believing that you have a lot to offer.  As you go through the process you will start to see yourself in a different light.

Firstly you need to be clear in your mind of what you want, write them down.  Make a list of all the things that will make it the perfect job.  Some of these might include:

*      Improved working conditions

*      Opportunities for further training and development

*      Closer to home

*      Better pay

*      Career advancement opportunities

These are just some samples, you need to be clear on what you want from your next job.  It is the same as when you want to buy something like a new car or a television.  You work out what you want, how much you want to spend, what features it should have.  It is the same for job searching, you need to be clear about what it is you are looking for.

The next step is to list the things that your future employer might be looking for.  But most importantly, what do you have to offer.  Some questions you should ask yourself are:

-  What formal qualifications are required for this level.
-  How many years experience would I need to have.
-  What special skills do I have.
-  What are my strengths.
-  What makes me better than anyone else.

Write it down and make a list.  Don't forget all those achievements. Ask your work colleagues, friends and family what they feel are your strengths.  These will be your selling points.

By now you should have a good indication of what you want and what your employer might want.  If you are still not clear about what an employer might want, look at job advertisements, they tell you exactly what it is they are looking for.

Most job advertisements list the required qualifications, skills and the type of person they are looking for.  You are not ready to start applying for positions as yet, but cut out and keep as many ads as possible, these will become invaluable later when you start applying for positions.

Now that we have the right attitude let's take the next step....... Preparing the CV.