Deploying Java Servlets and JSPs using the Oracle HTTP Server - (Oracle 8i)

Started by ganeshbala, Aug 19, 2008, 10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ganeshbala

What are the differences between JServ and Oracle Servlet Engine?

OSE was introduced at about the same time as JServ. JServ is a Java Servlet and JSP container (implementation) that used to come with Apache (several years ago), and is installed by default with 9iAS Release 1 (1.0.2.2.x). JServ also comes with the Oracle8i/9i RDBMS CDs and generally serves as a component to other Oracle products. For example, Oracle Management Server (OMS) will come with a pre-configured Oracle HTTP Server that can be used for web bases reporting and administration.

Here is an overview of what is included in the Oracle8i release of JServ.

* Uses JDK 1.1.8.10 & 1.2.2_05A
        * JServ is compliant with Servlet 2.0 API
        * JSP 1.1 specification (tested in the JDK 1.1.8 and 1.2.2 environments)
        * Oracle BC4J 3.1

Oracle Servlet Engine (OSE) works as a specialized Web server, designed as a scalable servlet container inside the Oracle8i database. The servlet classes are loaded into Oracle8i and Oracle9i, and published in a JNDI namespace inside the database. A servlet runner handles HTTP requests, instantiates published servlets in sessions, and invokes servlet methods. Oracle Servlet Engine was also called "servlets in the database". The technology was purchased by Oracle from a company called IronFlare. Servlets in this design required use of Oracle's JVM built into the database. The JVM database option was called "JServer" in Oracle8i and "Oracle JVM" in Oracle9i.

* OSE in Oracle 8.1.7 supports servlets 2.1 and JSPs 1.0.
        * OSE in Oracle 9.0.1 supports servlets 2.2 and JSPs 1.1.
        * OSE is no longer supported as of Oracle 9.2.0.

Keep in mind that due to problems with the efficiency of calling servlets inside the database, Oracle has dropped support for the Oracle Servlet Engine as of Oracle 9.2.0.

Installing Oracle HTTP Server

Installing the Oracle HTTP Server can (and should) be done as part of installing the Oracle RDBMS Software.

When installing Oracle8i, at the "Available Product Components" panel, ensure that the following components get installed:

* Oracle HTTP Server 1.3.12.0.1a
              o Oracle HTTP Server Extensions 8.1.7.0.0
              o Apache Module for Oracle Servlet Engine 8.1.7.0.0
              o Oracle Mod PL/SQL Gateway 3.0.0.4.0
              o BC4J Runtime 3.2.1
              o Apache Configuration for XML Developer's Kit 8.1.7.0.0

When installing Oracle9i, at the "Available Product Components" panel, ensure that the following components get installed:

* Oracle HTTP Server 1.3.12.0.3a
              o Oracle HTTP Server Extensions 9.0.1.0.0
              o Oracle Mod PL/SQL Gateway 3.0.9.0.7
              o Apache Module for Oracle Servlet Engine 9.0.1.0.0
              o BC4J Runtime 5.0.0.417.1
              o Apache Configuration for Oracle XML Developer's Kit
              o Oracle eBusiness Management Extensions 9.0.1.0.0
              o Oracle HTTP Server Extensions 9.0.1.0.0

After installation, all Apache and JServ files will be stored under $ORACLE_HOME/Apache.

Starting and Stopping the Oracle HTTP Server

The command to start, stop and restart the Oracle HTTP Server is called apachectl and is located in $ORACLE_HOME/Apache/Apache/bin

Keep in mind that if you configure the Oracle HTTP Server on a port lower than 1024, starting and stopping the server will have to be done as the UNIX "root" user account.

% cd $ORACLE_HOME/Apache/Apache/bin
        % ./apachectl start
        % ./apachectl stop