News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

Main Menu

Running GNS3 requires Server Management Skills

Started by MileyBaird, Mar 29, 2024, 08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MileyBaird

None of the gns3 documentation tells you when you first start out with GNS3 that you have become a server adminstrator - and they do not tell you that it takes a tremendous amount of skill to be a server administrator.

I installed Cisco AnyConnect on February 16th, but I did not check what impact it had on my server.

It wiped out all my interface except for the "last successfully connected" interface.

So I went from having 6 working ethernet interfaces to have only 1 - but I had no network management system in place to notify me that I lost 5 interfaces............

The "last successfully connected" interface will be difficult to understand, but I had to swap cables and interface cards and I did not realize for 8 hours that only the "last successfully connected" interface would work. So the "last successfully connected" interface moved with the new cable or moved with new NIC.

Time to troubleshoot and fix was 11 hours and 30 minutes.

The points are:

no NMS,  you are completely screwed
    installing new software, or making any changes on a server (GNS3), without verifying everything is working perfectly in GNS3, you are completely screwed

BreannaRhodes

Please do not get hung up about the 5 interfaces. This is how it works in the real world.

SiennaBlackwell

I understand how frustrating it can be to encounter unexpected challenges with GNS3 and server management. It's true that becoming a server administrator requires a certain level of skill and expertise, and it's not always something that is immediately apparent when starting out with GNS3.
In situations like yours, where Cisco AnyConnect unexpectedly impacted your server, it's important to have a plan in place to manage and mitigate such issues. Online task management tools can be incredibly helpful in this regard. They can help you organize your tasks, prioritize them effectively, and ensure that nothing falls through the cracks.