V# - Convert VB.NET to C#

Started by VelMurugan, Jul 26, 2008, 02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VelMurugan

V# - Convert VB.NET to C#

Does V# guarantee 100% code conversion from VB.NET to C#?

V# will convert most VB.NET source code but it does not guarantee 100% code conversion.

Does the converter replace my VB.NET code with C#?

No. The converter keeps the VB.NET code intact, generates the C# code and displays it on the screen.

I use a lot of nested [With – End With] statements. How does the converter handle them?

Even though C# does not support With – End With statements, the converter recognizes them and automatically generates the equivalent C# code.

Does the converter support line continuation?

Yes.

Does the converter support the Handles keyword in VB.NET?

Yes. Even though event handling code in C# does not use the Handles keyword, the converter automatically generates additional event handling code and injects it into the C# result.

Does the converter support casting for VB.NET commands such as ChrW(), CChr(),CInt(), CType(), etc.?

Yes.

Is V# case sensitive?

Yes, the current version of V# is case sensitive. It requires that the VB.NET code being converted is formatted using Visual Studio .NET IDE (Integrated Development environment). For example, if you were to convert the following line of code:

' Unformatted code
dim lnI as Integer
V# would not convert it properly. However, the same line of code in IDE format would be converted successfully.

' Formatted using Visual Studio.NET IDE
Dim lnI As Integer

Does V# convert ASP.NET pages?

The current version of V# only converts code-behind ASP.NET pages. If you have VB.NET code embedded in your ASPX pages, you will have to manually do the conversion for each one.

Does V# convert prior versions of Visual Basic and VB.NET code to C#?

The current version of V# converts only VB.NET code. In order to convert prior versions of Visual Basic code to C#, you must first convert your code to VB.NET. Once converted to VB.NET, use the converter to convert to C#.

In order to convert prior versions of Visual Basic code follow Microsoft guidelines for migrating to VB.NET. Here are some links that our customers found valuable:

• Migrating to Visual Basic .NET (seminar)
• Upgrading applications to VB.NET created in previous versions of Visual Basic
• Language Changes in VB.NET

I am using the demo version. The converter converts successfully but I cannot cut and paste the code.

The demo version only displays an image of the converted code. In order to cut and paste, you
must purchase the full version of the product.

How do I run the converter from Visual Studio .NET IDE?

In order to use the converter from Visual Studio .NET IDE, you must add the converter manually as an external tool by following these steps:
1. Run Visual Studio .NET IDE
2. Go to Tools>External Tools
3. In the External Tools dialog box, add a new item with the following values:

Title: V#-convert VB.NET to C#
Command: 'location of V#' example: C:\Tools\VSharp.exe
Initial Directory: 'full path of V#' example: C:\Tools

How do you provide technical support for conversions?

ELLKAY provides technical support for the V# only via email. Please send us a detailed email with the problem you are having.

What amount of turnaround can I expect for reported issues?

After ELLKAY receives your support request we will notify you when the issue is being looked at by our support team. If it is a bug in the product, we try to resolve it at the earliest. The time is dependent on the complexity of the issue and other outstanding items. ELLKAY always aims to provide our customers with a solution to any issue as quickly as possible.

If on-site support becomes necessary for some reason (not sure what, but just in case), can it be provided and what would be the cost?

Yes. On site support is available and must be scheduled with ELLKAY. The client will be required to cover all expenses in addition to ELLKAY's consulting fees.