Google in talks with Jio, Airtel to introduce high-speed internet

Started by Kalyan, Dec 16, 2020, 09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalyan

Google in talks with Jio, Airtel to introduce high-speed internet using light beams

Google is reportedly in talks with telecom companies Airtel and Jio to introduce high-speed internet and telecom connectivity using light beams.

The technology sends light beams – instead of radio waves – between transmitters and receivers attached to servers placed on buildings and structures.

Google's Project X noted that their team is in conversation with telcos, ISPs and governments around the world about the potential for wireless optical communication technology.

Google is reportedly in talks with telecom companies Airtel and Jio to introduce high-speed internet and telecom connectivity using light beams. The technology is part of Project Taara which uses light to transmit information at super high speeds through the air as a very narrow, invisible beam -- it is like fiber but without the cables, as per Project X, a company within Google.

The technology sends light beams instead of radio waves between transmitters and receivers attached to servers placed on buildings and structures. The speed could be as high as 20 gigabytes a second compared with less than one gigabyte a second that many consumers get now, a source familiar with the matter told ET Telecom. "This will be a game-changer since it can connect one to remote regions, have internet connectivity across buildings without cables and reduce the burden on towers," the source told the publication

Project Taara has been piloted in Andhra Pradesh in India and Kenya in Africa, as per reports. Google's Project X noted that their team is in conversation with telcos, ISPs and governments around the world about the potential for wireless optical communication technology to significantly accelerate the deployment of the extensive, high-throughput networks necessary to support the future of the web.

"The system is effective in areas that are difficult to connect using fiber cables. These include sites located around forests, water bodies, railway tracks, or land with high real estate costs," the blog says. It is based on open standards to work seamlessly with existing infrastructure and environments.

The blog notes that wireless optical communication technology can transmit data at high speeds of up to 20Gbps. A single link can cover distances up to 20 Km and be used to extend fiber networks. The project aims to offer a cost-effective and quickly deployable way to bring high-speed connectivity to remote areas. Taara links help plug critical gaps to major access points, like cell towers and WiFi hotspots, and have the potential to help thousands of people access the educational, business, and communication benefits of the web.

Earlier in February this year, Google shut its 'Station' project through which it gave free Wi-Fi to 415 railway stations in India. The project was pulled off by the company after 5 years of its operation owing to the increased 4G connectivity across the country and cheap data tariffs. In July, Google had committed $10 billion to India under its digitisation fund out of which Rs 33,737 crore were invested in Jio Platforms for a 7.7 per cent stake.

source: live mint

anubudhtech

At Anubudh, we use artificial intelligence driven apps where the program can assess students' knowledge and provide relevant coursework to place them back on track. Our AI driven technology makes education more personalized and easily accessible. It enables one-on-one student teacher interaction where they can receive instant feedbacks from the teachers. The chatbot style learning enables the teachers to deliver lectures in the form of chat conversations. Learning will be more fun with our AI driven applications.Our AI driven technologies are the cost effective way to make education fun. These help the students in inculcating interest in the coursework and  make learning more captivating and fascinating. The latest artificial intelligence technologies have taken education to a completely new level. It helps in trigerring the creative instincts of the students and helps them understand things better. Artificial intelligence marks the era of digital revolution in the field of education. Our latest AI driven apps can help the educational institutions and edtech organizations become a brand name in the field of digital education.
Anubudh EdTech

Varunsharna960

Airtel is moving on 5G but 4G Internet connection is slow. My name is Varun. I am a resident of Pink City, Budheshwar, Lucknow. I have done my Airtel 4G recharge from 10-09-2022. but the internet is very slow, in the talk with airtel care executive they're just giving me reason but the problem is remain same. I would suggest to work on Airtel 4G first then go on 5G.

varuunsharma960960

My name is Varun Sharma. I am a resident of Pink City, Budheshwar, Lucknow. I have done my Airtel 4G recharge on 08-09-2022 but the issue is intenet is not working, reported this issue with airtel care but their solution is not doing work, i would suggest to work on 4g internet first instead on 5g.