News:

Choose a design and let our professionals help you build a successful website   - ITAcumens

Main Menu

"C" Programming Language - Declarations and Initializations

Started by sivaji, Jan 10, 2008, 07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sivaji

Programming Stuffs in "C" - Technical Skills for INTERVIEW

Declarations and Initializations

1: How do you decide which integer type to use?

Use ``short'' when you need to avoid values over 32,767, ``int'' when you want to store integers, ``long'' for long
   numbers (more than 6 digits), and ``float'' for numbers over 4 billion.

2: What should the 64-bit type on new, 64-bit machines be?

int.

3: If I write the code int i, j; can I assume that (&i + 1) == &j?

Only sometimes. It's not portable, because in EBCDIC, i and j are not adjacent.

4: What's the best way to declare and define global variables?

In headers; this way, you can get link errors when you include the same header twice. Generally, you will have to define
   a variable everywhere you want to use it, and then declare it someplace so you know what it is.

5: What does extern mean in a function declaration?

It refers to a variable which is not actually in your program. For instance,
    main() {
                 extern int bar;
                 printf("%d\n", bar);
                 return 0;
               }

will compile without errors because bar is declared as being external. (It won't run, though, because you never assign
     bar a value.)

6: I finally figured out the syntax for declaring pointers to functions, but now how do I initialize one?

With the assignment operator. You were perhaps expecting a screwdriver?

7: I've seen different methods used for calling through pointers to functions. What's the story?

In the old days, when Microsoft first invented C, the syntax for calling functions involved more parentheses; this was
    after their market research indicated that most C programmers would be coming from a Lisp environment. Later, when
    Kernighan took over the language design (right after AT&T bought Microsoft's language technology), he decided to
    eliminate the parentheses, but the old form is still allowed.

You do need the parentheses to call a function with more than one argument, for instance,
     int (*foo)(char *, ...) = printf;
     (*foo)("hello, %s\n", "world!");
     needs the parents, but they would not be needed for foo, "hello, world!\n";

(The ``*'' just means to execute foo, just like the ``*'' on the end of an executable filename in ``ls -F''.)

8: What's the auto keyword good for?

Declaring vehicles.

9: I can't seem to define a linked list successfully. I tried

typedef struct {
                            char *item;
                            NODEPTR next;
                } *NODEPTR;

but the compiler gave me error messages. Can't a structure in C contain a pointer to itself?

Not exactly; it can contain a pointer to another structure of the same type. Try:
    typedef struct {
                            char *item;
                     double *next;
                          } NODEFAKE;
    typedef struct {
                     char *item;
                     NODEFAKE *next;
                          } NODEPTR;

Make sure that sizeof(NODEPTR) == sizeof(double).

This technique is called a ``backwards reference''.

10: How do I enter values using hexadecimal?

long ints can be entered using hexadecimal notation; for instance,

long int foo = 07;

sets foo to hex 7. 1.11: How do I declare an array of N pointers to functions returning pointers to functions returning
     pointers to characters?

Well, first you need to know how to declare an array of N items of type T - that's
     T foo[N];

Now you need to look at how to declare a pointer to function returning something, say, an object of type S. That's like
     this:
     S (*bar)();

Now assume that S is ``pointer to function returning pointer to char''. We get
     (char *) (*)() (*bar)().

So, the whole thing turns out to be (with appropriate parentheses)
     (((char)(*))((*)())(((*)((foo)))())([(N)]));

If your compiler complains, break this down into subexpressions.

To call it, just use
     foo();

This works because, in C, declaration reflects use, but it's one of those weird distorted mirrors.
Am now @ Chennai