News:

MyKidsDiary.in :: Capture your kids magical moment and create your Online Private Diary for your kids

Main Menu

Basic Faqs of IELTS

Started by Kalyan, Jul 05, 2008, 04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalyan

Basic Faqs of IELTS

1. What can the candidate bring into the examination room?

Only pens, pencils and erasers. Correction fluid must not be used. You must leave anything which you do not need, or which is not allowed, either outside the examination room, or as instructed by the supervisor. Mobile phones and pagers must be switched off and placed with personal belongings in the area designated by the supervisor. Any candidate who does not switch off their phone/pager, or who retains one in their possession, will be disqualified.

2. Is the IELTS test completed in one day?

The Listening, Reading and Writing components of the test are always completed immediately after each other and in this same order. The Speaking test can be taken up to 7 days either before or after the test date.

3. What kind of accents can be heard in the Listening and Speaking tests?

As IELTS is an international test, a variety of English accents are used in both of these examinations.

4. Does the listening tape provide the candidate with necessary instructions and pauses?

Yes. At the beginning of the test, candidates receive instructions and hear a sample question. Next, candidates read Section One questions and then listen to Section One and answer the questions on the question paper as they listen. The same procedure follows for Sections Two, Three and Four. This takes approximately 30 minutes to complete. In the following final ten minutes, candidates transfer their answers onto the answer sheet.

5. Is there a similar period of ten minutes at the end of the Reading test for the transfer of answers?

No. The Reading test is one hour, and you must write all your answers on the answer sheet in this time.

6. Can I complete the Listening and Reading answer sheet in pen?

No. The answer sheet is scanned by a computer which cannot read pen.

7. Can I make some notes on the Listening and Reading question paper?

Yes. The examiner will not see your question paper.

8. What is the Speaking test?

The Speaking test is conducted with a one-to-one interview with a certified examiner, which is recorded on an audiocassette.

9. What should the candidate bring for the Speaking test?

The candidate needs to bring the same identification documents they supplied on registration, as these must be checked again against the information on the application form. These documents will be checked by the administrator and the Speaking examiner prior to the candidate entering the interview room.

10. What happens if a candidate loses their Test Report Form?

At any time within two years of the date of the examination, a candidate can apply to the centre which administered the test to be sent 5 copies of the original Test Report Form free of charge. These Test Report Forms will not be sent to the candidates themselves, but the universities abroad, Embassy and Consulate. For any further copies, there is an administration charge per copy. Please contact your test centre for further details.

11. When will the candidate receive their results?

Under usual test circumstances, the candidates will receive their Test Report Forms approximately two weeks after they complete their test.

12. How soon can candidates repeat the test?

Candidates are not permitted to retake the test at any centre within 90 days of their previous test date, i.e. 90 days and no fewer. Candidates are reminded that scores are unlikely to improve dramatically without English language tuition in the interim.

13. What help is available for disabled candidates?

Test centres make every effort to cater for the special needs of any disabled candidates, to enable them to best understand questions and tasks and to give their answers. It is our aim for the language level of all candidates, irrespective of disability, to be assessed fairly and objectively. Candidates with special needs should inform their test centre when applying so that appropriate arrangements can be made.

14. What happens if a candidate is delayed by circumstances beyond their control (e.g. a transportation strike)?

The test centre offers the candidate an alternative test date as soon as possible.

15. What happens if a candidate wants to postpone or cancel their application?

Candidates who request a postponement or cancellation of their test within 5 weeks of the test date will normally be charged the full fee unless they are able to provide appropriate medical evidence to support their request within 5 days of the test date.

16. What happens if a candidate is absent on the day of the test without giving prior notice?

The candidate will lose their full test fee. However, if a medical certificate is provided within 5 days of the test date then the full fee is refunded minus a local administrative deduction.

17. What can candidates do if they are unhappy with their results?

Candidates may apply for an enquiry on results procedure at the centre at which they took their test within four weeks of issue of results. There is a fee for this which is refunded should the band score change.

18. Candidates can receive copies of their test results under the following conditions:

Results from the test date and up to 1 month after.
One (1) personal copy of the TRF (Test Report Form) for the candidate.
Up to maximum of five (5) copies sent FREE of charge to institution addresses as provided by the candidate on the application form.
From one (1) month to two (2) years.
Candidate can request up to five (5) additional copies to be forwarded to institution addresses only, as provided by candidate. There may be a reasonable handling charge requested by the Test Centre for administration/postage.
After the two (2) year validity period.
The Test Centre can only send a letter to a receiving organisation as proof of a test date attendance, and scores may be verified in this letter. The Test Centre cannot print Test Report Forms.

sevenmentor44

Hey all, Just had to share my amazing experience with spoken English classes in Pune! At XYZ Institute, I discovered the power of effective communication. Friendly instructors tailored lessons to our needs, focusing on grammar, vocab, and pronunciation. Engaging group discussions boosted my confidence big time! Practical exercises like debates and public speaking honed my skills, while cross-cultural awareness expanded my horizons. Listening and writing improved too! If you're serious about personal and professional growth, join these classes. Trust me, it's a life-changing investment! Don't hesitate – unleash the power of communication through spoken English classes in Pune. You won't regret it! Best regards, Mahima Mantri

Spoken English Course in Pune