News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

Main Menu

2 USB devices offer easy remote access

Started by dhilipkumar, Jun 03, 2009, 10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhilipkumar

Pogoplug and I'm InTouch SecureKey let you access files remotely without negotiating complex remote-control software.

The two USB remote access devices reviewed here couldn't be more different. The $100 Pogoplug acts like a mini remote file server that hooks into your home network and gives access to the contents of an external USB-connected hard drive or memory key.

If all you're looking for is access to your data while you're on the road, you can't do much better than the $100 Pogoplug. The small (4 x 2.5 x 2-inch), white Pogoplug box is actually a mini file server that uses Linux software to allow remote connections, dole out files and save material remotely. It plugs into your network router and works with a variety of USB storage devices, such as external hard drives or USB keys.

Pogoplug can read from and write to drives that have been formatted using NTFS and FAT for PCs, EXT2 and EXT3 for Linux systems and HFS+ for Apple Macs (although you'll have to disable the journaling feature of the last). If you connect it to a USB hub, the device can work with several drives at once; for example, I was able to use it with both a 2GB memory key and a 60GB external hard drive.

[smg id=6105]

Using Internet Explorer and an AT&T 3G connection, it took only 15 seconds for me to connect to a 2GB memory key plugged into the Pogoplug device in my home. All the drive's images, music and documents were available

dhoni

the usb device is really amazing to use this