Automatic captions in YouTube

Started by ganeshbala, Nov 20, 2009, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ganeshbala

Automatic captions in YouTube

we first announced captions in Google Video and YouTube, we've introduced multiple caption tracks, improved search functionality and even automatic translation.

Automatic Captions in YouTube Demo

Each of these features has had great personal significance to me, not only because I helped to design them, but also because I'm deaf. Today, I'm in Washington, D.C. to announce what I consider the most important and exciting milestone yet: machine-generated automatic captions.

Since the original launch of captions in our products, we've been happy to see growth in the number of captioned videos on our services, which now number in the hundreds of thousands.

This suggests that more and more people are becoming aware of how useful captions can be. As we've explained in the past, captions not only help the deaf and hearing impaired, but with machine translation, they also enable people around the world to access video content in any of 51 languages. Captions can also improve search and even enable users to jump to the exact parts of the videos they're looking for.

However, like everything YouTube does, captions face a tremendous challenge of scale. Every minute, 20 hours of video are uploaded. How can we expect every video owner to spend the time and effort necessary to add captions to their videos? Even with all of the captioning support already available on YouTube, the majority of user-generated video content online is still inaccessible to people like me.

To help address this challenge, we've combined Google's automatic speech recognition (ASR) technology with the YouTube caption system to offer automatic captions, or auto-caps for short.

Auto-caps use the same voice recognition algorithms in Google Voice to automatically generate captions for video. The captions will not always be perfect (check out the video below for an amusing example), but even when they're off, they can still be helpful—and the technology will continue to improve with time.

source : googleblog
Ken Harrenstien, Software Engineer

dhoni

from this video it can use easily automatic caption in YouTube

we can develop video with our favorite language to upload