News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

Main Menu

agetty - Linux

Started by sukishan, Aug 14, 2009, 07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sukishan

agetty
agetty [options] port baudrate [term]

System administration command. The Linux version of getty. Set terminal type, modes, speed, and line discipline. agetty is invoked by init. It is the second process in the series init-getty-login-shell, which ultimately connects a user with the Linux system. agetty reads the user's login name and invokes the login command with the user's name as an argument. While reading the name, agetty attempts to adapt the system to the speed and type of device being used.

You must specify a port, which agetty will search for in the /dev directory. You may use -, in which case agetty reads from standard input. You must also specify baudrate, which may be a comma-separated list of rates through which agetty will step. Optionally, you may specify the term, which is used to override the TERM environment variable.

Options
-f file
Specify the use of file instead of /etc/issue upon connection to terminal. It is overridden by -i.

-h
Specify hardware, not software, flow control.

-H hostname
Write login hostname into the utmp file. By default, no login host is specified.

-I string
Specify string to be sent to the tty or modem.

-i
Suppress printing of /etc/issue before printing the login prompt.

-l program
Specify the use of program instead of /bin/login.

-L
Do not require carrier detect; operate locally only. Use this when connecting terminals.

-m
Attempt to guess the appropriate baud rate.

-n
Don't prompt for a login name.

-t timeout
Specify that agetty should exit if the open on the line succeeds and there is no response to the login prompt in timeout seconds.

-w
Wait for carriage return or linefeed before sending login prompt. Use when sending an initialization string.
A good beginning makes a good ending