News:

MyKidsDiary.in :: Capture your kids magical moment and create your Online Private Diary for your kids

Main Menu

IGNOU's Urdu Certificate Programme Launched

Started by jayanthi mandhalapu, Jul 26, 2009, 07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayanthi mandhalapu

People who are really interested in learning Urdu have now a wonderful opportunity. The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) has announced a certificate programme in Urdu to popularise the language.

Launched by Minister of State for Corporate and Minority Affairs, Salman Khurshid, the course is meant for those who want to know how to read, write and speak correct Urdu.

"Urdu is a minority community's language. But there are many people who don't know Urdu because of different mother tongue but they have a keen interest in learning Urdu. This programme is for such people," said Khurshid after launching the programme.

The course has speaking, reading, writing and understanding skills in Urdu and facilitates communicative skills in the language as well. The certificate course also introduces students in literature appreciation.

Some of the topics that have been included in the syllabus are women in Urdu literature, elements of Urdu structure, forms of Urdu, diasporic Urdu literature, oral tradition of Urdu literature, sociology of Literature and many more interesting topics.

The minister said: "The step taken by this university is very important to popularise Urdu language among the people. Urdu has a special place in the Mughal history of the country. I think Urdu is very special in itself."

Students can enrol for this programme in Urdu from July 2009. This will be by diploma and degree programmes in 2010 and 2011. M. Phil and Ph.D. courses will follow soon.

IGNOU vice chancellor V.N. Rajasekharan Pillai said: "The promotion of Urdu language is very important. We are involving many eminent professors to teach our students."

The course will not only cater to Urdu lovers but also to people who are researching on medieval India and the freedom struggle.

Khurshid was so impressed with the programme that he expressed his desire to do the course. "I did not get a chance to study (Urdu) due to lack of such programmes. If I get a chance, I would love to become a student of this programme," laughed Khurshid.
Be Happy And Always Remain So