Google Docs: Working offline

Started by NAREN, Apr 22, 2008, 05:42 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

NAREN

Google Docs: Working offline

Google announced the offline access for Google Docs will be possible through Google Gears, still in beta version, an open source browser extension that provides offline functionality for Web applications. With Google Docs and Google Gears, users can now access their desktop apps without any inconvenient, such as the lack of an Internet connection.

In May last year, Google launched Google Gears as "an important step in the evolution of web applications," making data availability problems when there's no Internet connection an issue of the past. Eric Schmidt, Google CEO, said last year that Google Gears is "tackling a key limitation of the browser" and improves user experience in the "cloud."

This year, Google wants to give users the chance to take the cloud with them anywhere, with an all-time accessibility: "With Google Docs offline (powered by Google Gears), I can take my little piece of the cloud with me wherever I go," said Philip Tucker, Software Engineer for Google Docs, in the company's blog.

All the user's documents will be synced once the Gears extension is installed, and even if they don't have an Internet connection, they will still be able to open and edit their documents. "When I lose my connection, I sacrifice some features, but I can still access my documents. Everything I need is saved locally," said Tucker in the blog.

Google Gears currently offers support for Windows Vista Internet Explorer and Firefox, Windows XP Internet Explorer and Firefox, Mac OS/X Firefox and Linux Firefox. Everything will work through the web browser when offline, and once the Internet connection restored, the documents will sync with the server.

For Videos : Click Here

nice games here

Go Up

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

shortcuts: alt+s submit/post or alt+p preview
IT Acumens Web Designing Chennai | GinGly :: Build your Personal Website | CineBuzz :: Cinema News | My Kids Diary :: Gift your Kids Memories :: Book Website @ 349 Rs monthly
Copyright 2005 - 2021 :: IT Acumens :: All Rights Reserved. :: XML Sitemap
ITAcumens Discussion Forum with 2 lakhs post running for 15 years - Powered by IT Acumens Pro Dedicated Server

My Kids Diary