How long can I stay in the UK as a visitor?

Started by sukishan, Jul 13, 2009, 02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sukishan

How long can I stay in the UK as a visitor?
Visitors can stay in the UK for a maximum of six months at any one time.  The only two exceptions to this rule are Academic Visitors and the parents of children at school who can stay for up to 12 months.

Do I need a visa to visit the UK?
You will need a visa to visit the UK if any of the following apply to you:

* you are a national of one of the countries listed in the visa and transit visa nationals page on this website;
* you are applying to visit the UK in order to get married;
* you are applying as an Academic Visitor and intend to stay in the UK for more than 6 months;
* you are applying as a parent of a child at school and intend to stay in the UK for more than 6 months;
* you are applying as a Prospective Student;
* you are stateless (you do not have a nationality);
* you hold a non-national travel document (a travel document which does not give you the nationality of the country that issued it), or
* you hold a passport issued by an authority that is not recognised in the UK.

General visitors: Visiting family, friends or as a tourist
If you want to visit family or friends in the UK or to come as a tourist you should apply as a general visitor. To visit the UK in this capacity you must be able to show that:

you intend to visit the UK for no more than six months;
you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit, and
you have enough money to support yourself and live in the UK without working or needing any help from public funds.

A good beginning makes a good ending

Michelle

Can you please advise me, l am here from Australia helping look after my grandchildren while my daughter and son-in-law work. I have sufficient funds but have been hear since 27/01/16 my six months is up next week, am l supposed to be leaving the uk as l need to look after them until the end September. Are you able to advise me what l need to do.

thankyou
Michelle