News:

Build a stunning handcrafted website with IT Acumens

Main Menu

Can-Am Spyder

Started by aruljothi, Jul 06, 2009, 06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aruljothi

Can-Am's Spyder is still somewhat of an enigma to most motorcyclists but Can-Am is aiming to remedy that situation with the launch of the new Spyder Experience Road Show this weekend in Sydney.

The first stop on the 2009 nationwide tour starts this Friday, May 1, at Fox Studios in The Entertainment Quarter, Moore Park. The show is also scheduled to visit Cronulla, Newcastle, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Cairns, Hervey Bay, Mackay, Townsville, Adelaide, Hobart, Launceston, Melbourne, Shepparton and Perth.

So what's our take on the Can-Am Spyder here at Drive?

Unlike Piaggio's innovative MP3, the Can-Am Spyder is dedicated to keeping all three wheels perpendicular to the road surface.

The MP3 feels like a motorcycle, whereas the Spyder feels more like a cross between an ATV or jet-ski and an open wheel sports car. An impression reinforced by the view of the sports car style double A-arm front suspension clearly visible from the Spyder cockpit. The actual riding technique is fairly similar to that used when riding an ATV and absolutely nothing like riding a motorcycle.

In many countries riders can pilot a Spyder on a normal car licence. In Australia, however, the powers that be have deemed that a full motorcycle licence is required to ride the Spyder, seriously limiting the potential market for the innovative new machine.

This is something that Australian distributors are still working with authorities to try and overcome. Can-Am has not fitted the Spyder with a front brake lever to help with the overseas licensing as the more 'car-like controls' apparently helped their cause in that regard.

Unfortunately for motorcyclists that means that all braking is controlled from a foot lever that is not placed in the most natural position.

This means you physically need to move your foot onto the lever in a deliberate motion. This annoyed me at first but after several thousand kilometres onboard the Spyder it is something I have become accustomed to.

If I had a lever on the bar I could forget about my feet all together. Braking power is certainly not something that can be whined about though, if you really stomp on the lever hard enough to get the ABS working, the stopping power is quite remarkable.

A range of electronic countermeasures ensures all three wheels remain on the deck and keeps the machine tracking true. When the Spyder's electronic brain registers too much speed differential between the wheels, or too much yaw is felt through a variety of other sensors, engine power is reduced and a corresponding wheel is braked to help stabilise the machine. This is similar to the electronic stability control systems fitted to many modern cars.