“Study of English opens up new career opportunities”

Started by sajiv, Jun 19, 2009, 08:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sajiv

"Study of English opens up new career opportunities"
CHENNAI: Over 50 students of the Government Madrasa-I-Azam School on Anna Salai were an excited lot on Thursday, when they received certificates for successfully completing the 'Access English Microscholarship Program'.

The two-year programme, offered by the U.S. Consulate General, is aimed at equipping underprivileged students aged 14 to 18 with good English language skills.

As part of the U.S. Department of State initiative, English language trainers took lessons for the students, who reside at the home, run on the Madrasa-I-Azam campus, weekly thrice.

Speaking at the event, Andrew T. Simkin, U.S. Consul General in Chennai, said studying English promoted a better understanding between cultures, besides opening up new career opportunities.

With a lot of erudition on Islam available in English, knowledge of the language would be helpful for serious students of Islam, he added.

"I have always wanted to speak English fluently.. After two years of classes, I feel confident, as I can understand the language better. Now, I also know to use dictionary, " said Mohammed Ashiq, a student. Class XII student Mohammed Mukthar said the classes were very interactive.

Hakim Syed M.M. Ameen, president of the home, said that the other students of the home were also interested in enrolling. "The students who have completed the course have been participating in inter-school oratorical and essay competitions," he said.

K. Jalaludeen, joint secretary, Islamic Foundation Trust, commended the students for their successful completion of the course, and emphasised the need for imparting value-based education.