News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

Main Menu

Killzone 2 (PS3)

Started by aruljothi, Jun 10, 2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aruljothi

Release Date: 02/27/2009
ESRB Rating: Mature
Genre: Action
Publisher: SCEA
Developer: Guerrilla

With 2008 still in the rear view mirror, the first candidate for 2009's "Game of the Year" has arrived. Killzone 2 is a visual powerhouse that offers a grounded and "realistic" take on futuristic warfare. From fighting your way through shantytowns while lightning storms rage overhead to avoiding sniper fire during vicious dust storms, brutality has never been this beautiful.

Killzone 2's story is a simple one: Humanity has decided to strike back at the Helghast by invading their home planet Helghan. But that's just the backdrop for a stunning mixture of intense combat and jaw-dropping visuals that will last for 8-12 hours in single-player. Joining you in battle are the other members of Alpha squad. It would have been nice to play co-op with friends (they are strictly A.I. controlled), and your squad mates are walking stereotypes (hotheaded heavy machine gunner, easygoing tech guy, etc.), but their playful and delightfully vulgar banter serves as a respite from the dark urban environments early in the game.

Once you get out of the main city, things really take off as you find yourself moving from one fantastically designed set piece to another. One of my favorite sequences takes you through a gigantic factory, where you have to hitch a ride on the machinery while wielding the most powerful weapon in the game, the lightning gun. It's incredibly satisfying to watch the lightning arc from one enemy to the next รก la God's wrath from the ending of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Another level has you taking the reins of a mech, and tearing your way through hordes of unsuspecting Helghast soldiers. Managing the mech is simple as the controls are identical to those in the on-foot sequences, and avoiding incoming missile fire while dealing out massive damage is a thrill. Tiny details like cracks appearing in the glass after taking damage highlight the details that Guerilla placed in the world.

Beyond its good looks, Killzone 2 is a game of strategy that rewards tactical decisions and careful aim. Playing it as a run-and-gun shooter is a quick way to get killed; correct use of cover grenades is necessary as the Helghast are constantly trying to flank and bring overwhelming firepower to bear on you and your fellow soldiers. The friendly A.I. is usually competent, but squad mates will sometimes blindly run past Helghast squads on their way to checkpoints, leaving yours truly to clean up the mess. However, this is the exception rather than the rule, and if you think before shooting, it's an incredibly fun ride.

Multiplayer Thus Far

As is often the case with game reviews, there isn't always enough time to play online multiplayer before the text is written. Because of this, I didn't get a chance to level up many of the character classes. And since this is such an integral part of the multiplayer experience I don't feel comfortable "reviewing" this part of the game yet -- but I can say for certain that I've played enough to know that my overall grade will not change based on more play. So with that in mind, here are at least my impressions from my time playing in the beta and with the review build so far: