News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

Main Menu

Photoshop Blending Modes Cookbook "High-Contrast Sketch"

Started by rajoe, May 21, 2009, 03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajoe

Photoshop Blending Modes Cookbook
"High-Contrast Sketch"

Combining the Find Edges filter and the Overlay blending mode can produce a high-contrast sketch effect that works with many types of images. This recipe includes multiple Overlay layers, which boost contrast, so the recipe works particularly well with low-contrast images. In the recipe, I use three Overlay layers—you can use more or fewer, though more than three can produce excessive contrast. Another variation, if the result is too harsh, is to add some Gaussian Blur.

STEP 1

In the Layers palette, duplicate the original image layer by dragging the background layer onto the "Create a new layer" icon, or use Ctrl/Cmd-J.

STEP 2
Using the pull-down blending mode menu in the Layers palette, change the duplicate layer's blending mode to Overlay (or alternatively use the shortcut Alt/Opt-Shift-O) and rename it "Overlay 1."

STEP 3
Reduce the Overlay 1 layer's opacity to 60%.

STEP 4
Apply Filter > Stylize > Find Edges to the Overlay 1 layer.

STEP 5
Use Ctrl/Cmd-J to duplicate the Overlay 1 layer. Name the new layer "Overlay 2."

STEP 6
Use Ctrl/Cmd-F to apply Filter > Stylize > Find Edges to the Overlay 2 layer.

STEP 7
Repeat steps 5 and 6. An easy way to do this is to use Ctrl/Cmd-J followed by Ctrl/Cmd-F.

rajoe

Direct Contrast
This recipe always adds contrast to the image, which this early morning shot needed.

Settings on all 3 layers are Opacity: 60, Fill: 100

Detailed Contrast

Pictures with plenty of detail are naturally suited to the Find Edges filter.

Soft Contrast
Some subjects deserve a gentler treatment, so here I applied Gaussian Blur to the middle Overlay layer.

Stark Contrast
This shot, taken in crisp, winter light, was already high-contrast, so I applied Gaussian Blur to the middle Overlay layer.

Brassed Off
As an alternative, I applied the Emboss filter on the top layer. This produced a more textured finish.