Domain Name in Detail

Started by Sudhakar, May 13, 2009, 03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sudhakar

After we are done with the different types of hosting, there is something else which I want to touch on. It is none other than the "domain name". So, ever wonder what is domain name? Wow, sounds technical? Not really actually. Don't be scared. Last time, when I saw the words domain name, it freaked me out too. Now, when I got used to it, it's not that nerve-wracking after all. So, domain name is just the normal web address or url (Uniform Resource Locator) you type in the "address" area when you open a browser. Examples of domain name are "exabytes.com". You know? Just the normal web address. Well, since it's a web address, it's a unique name. Hence, there will be no other same domain name. In fact, domain name is actually corresponding with numeric IP address. So, every domain name will have its numeric IP address. For example, the IP address for exabytes.com is 70.84.8.82

When you see exabytes.com, ever wonder ".com" stands for what? It actually stands for commercial. Whenever you see .com, .org, .net or others which ends after the final dot or period (.) of a url, it is known as top-level domain. It actually tells you what kind of website it is, indirectly. And the commonly used domain name extension nowadays will be .org, .net, .com. However, there are a lot of new domain extension up for grab lately such as .aero, .info, .museum, and .name. Next in the list that I shall explain is, Country Level Domain Name. Examples of country level domain name is exabytes.com.my. It has ".my" as its country code top-level domain (ccTLD). .my here represents the country "Malaysia". Of course, different country will have different ccTLD. For example, .jp stands for Japan, .au for Australia, .ca for Canada.

ganeshbala

Great Explanations.. Thanks for sharing it..

Is it possible for me to create my own extension name...

Sudhakar

Quote from: ganeshbala on May 13, 2009, 02:30 PM
Great Explanations.. Thanks for sharing it..

Is it possible for me to create my own extension name...

Dear Acumen,

Booking domains only @ avaliable extensions were possible.

Usually, if you are opting for personal portal. Then you could use the following extensions.

.me, .com, .net, or .info
  8)

ganeshbala