News:

Choose a design and let our professionals help you build a successful website   - ITAcumens

Main Menu

Tokyo Electron Device Announces Quad Virtex-5 FPGA Platform for High-Speed Compu

Started by dhilipkumar, Mar 21, 2009, 12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhilipkumar

Tokyo Electron Device Announces Quad Virtex-5 FPGA Platform for High-Speed Computing

Tokyo Electron Device Limited (TED) has today announced the release of Quad Virtex-5 FPGA High-Speed Computing Platform. The inrevium* TB-5V-SX95T4-HSC features four Xilinx Virtex-5 SX95T FPGAs and can realize high-speed and more complex processing (multiple data parallel processing).

"The conventional approach to high-speed computing on supercomputers has been to operate multiple high-performance CPUs in parallel. The problem with this method, however, is that because the software is highly dependent on the architecture used, the time required for programming and debugging makes development times longer." said Yasuo Hatsumi, Director and Xilinx Product Manager, PLD Solution Division of TED.

"Now, there has been growing interests and expectations from various fields for FPGA computing which uses multiple large FPGAs. FPGA computing makes programming simpler because it performs high-speed and complex processing in parallel with multiple FPGAs instead of conventional CPUs. This shortens debugging times and makes it possible to perform even faster parallel processing." TB-5V-SX95T4-HSC features: Xilinx XC5VSX95T-1FFG1136C x 4 -- GTP (Gigabit transceiver, 3.125Gbps) 4ch connections between each FPGAs -- 40 IO connections between each FPGAs 512Mbit DDR2-SDRAM (8Mwords x 16 bits x 4 banks) x 8 256Mbit Flash memory (32M x 8bits) x 1 GTP connectors 4ch x 4 Type-A Expansion I/O connectors 120pin (I/O 119pin) x 4 Type-B Expansion I/O connectors 100pin (I/O 42pin) x 4 Serial port: RS-232C x 1 Reference designs: DDR2 SDRAM controller design, GTP Tx and Rx design With a range of reference designs available, the evaluation platform provides an environment that makes it easy for the user to perform evaluation work. Further, a number of these boards can be connected together via cables to implement even larger scale high-speed computational processing systems.

The inrevium TB-5V-SX95T4-HSC targets academic, corporate and other research institutions that require ultra-high-speed computing for research and development in fields such as astronomical and meteorological observations, DNA analysis, aerodynamics, and large-scale graphics algorithms.