Apache HttpCore 4.0 (GA) released

Started by dhilipkumar, Mar 06, 2009, 05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhilipkumar

Apache HttpCore 4.0 (GA) released

Apache HttpComponents project announces the first stable (GA) release of HttpCore 4.0.

HttpCore is a set of low level HTTP transport components that can be used to build custom client and server side HTTP services with a minimal footprint. HttpCore supports two I/O models: blocking I/O model based on the classic Java I/O and non-blocking, event driven I/O model based on Java NIO.

The blocking I/O model may be more appropriate for data intensive, low latency scenarios, whereas the non-blocking model may be more appropriate for high latency scenarios where raw data throughput is less important than the ability to handle thousands of simultaneous HTTP connections in a resource efficient manner.

Several popular open-source projects already employ HttpCore as the HTTP protocol engine for their HTTP transport implementations. Some notable examples are Apache Synapse Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) and Limewire peer-to-peer file sharing (P2P) client. Base module of HttpCore has also been included into the Google Android platform. HttpCore also serves as a foundation for Apache HttpClient 4.0.

Code samples can be found here