News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

Main Menu

SMSes in recession hit times

Started by Kalyan, Feb 08, 2009, 02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalyan

SMSes in recession hit times

In recession-hit times, regular SMSes at work have taken on new meaning.

EVERYTHING OFFICIAL ABOUT IT!

Wasn't working less and keeping in touch with friends supposed to lead to well-being?

Yeah, right, say professionals. In these lean and mean meltdown times, a simple SMS from a colleague – 'So wt's hapng?' – isn't about your well-being at all.

It's about the well-being of your job and whether you're working at all, so don't take it at face value.

courtesy : tnn

source : economic times

Kalyan

TEXTING TIMES

Many young professionals agree that SMSes have adapted to the situation . "We have this SOS joke at our workplace," says Anurupa Sikand, a banker. "Anyone who senses any kind of danger to his/her job sends out an SOS message and it stands for 'Save Our Seats'.

If we think someone is throwing his/her weight around for no reason,we text,'Save the best for the last' and hint that the person will probably need all those antics and resources to save his/her job later. Those who don't get the hang of this slang are losing out on the evolution of SMS language."

Kalyan

Ajit, a media professional, says, "Even the jokes that we share with our colleagues allude to recession. The latest one doing the rounds is – 'If you think you have enough time to spend with your family and friends, then, my dear, you have been hit badly by recession!"

Gaurav Jha, a software professional with a Hyderabad firm, maintains that after the recent Satyam fiasco, the lingo in the software industry has changed to a great degree. "Everyone in the IT industry knows that the company will now 'lose some weight'. Now, if an IT guy asks another, 'How are you?' it doesn't means that he wants to know about his wellbeing ,but just, 'Do you have your job or not?'"

Kalyan

BOSS, WATCH THAT SMS!

Ajit also agrees that there is a great degree of effort put into sending out a professional message to a senior now.

"While for friends, I may use abbreviations and try and squeeze in as many words as possible, while typing a text message for my boss or a senior colleague, I make sure that I spell out every word and not use a very 'Yo dude' sort of language. I also read it again before I finally hit the Send key," he says. Gaurav adds that he makes sure his SMSes to colleagues start "with pleasantries, and no shortening of words allowed." He even runs a grammar check on them.

Kalyan

Sociologist Sanjana Adlakha says that the young and restless Gen i responds, and hence adapts, to changing circumstances much more quickly then earlier generations.

"They don't spend much time thinking about how to use language creatively. It's just the way they are that defines the way they use language. Texting defines their existence in their peer group and the more innovative use they put the language to, the more 'in' they become. Any development around them quickly manifests itself in the way they talk and use certain words."