News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

Main Menu

All about Slumdog Millionaire - Interesting News Behind this Film!!!

Started by Kalyan, Jan 22, 2009, 07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nithyasubramanian

'Slumdog' child star beaten by father on returning home

London, Feb 28: 'Slumdog Millionaire' child star Azharuddin had a rather painful homecoming after attending the Oscars, for the boy was beaten up by his father just because he wanted to have some rest.

Mohammed Ismail slapped and kicked his 10-year-old son in front of shocked neighbours and passers-by soon after he flew back to India from Los Angeles, where he and his other young co-stars watched as their movie picked up eight Oscars.

Azharuddin, who plays young hero Jamal, got tears in the eyes and ran back inside his home, cowering and begging his father to stop while trying to hide in a corner.

The young star had been given the day off school after his long flight and wanted to take rest, but his father wanted to show him off outside their home.

And when the boy didn't agree, the 45-year-old father, who is hoping his son could be his ticket to get out of Mumbai's Dharavi slum, launched his attack while his mother pleaded Ismail to stop.

"Azharuddin's father was upset that he was asking to be left alone because he was so tired. He didn't attend school today so that he could recover from his long flight from LA and simply wanted all the attention to stop. However, when Azharuddin put his foot down and said that was it and there was to be no more talking, Ismail just flipped," the Sun quoted one stunned onlooker as saying.

However, Azharuddin's return to the slums was another picture altogether when his father had lifted him up and paraded him like a trophy.

Just a few hours after the attack, TB patient Ismail apologised for the attack, saying: "I was very sorry I did what I did. I was confused and stressed by my son's homecoming and I did not know myself for a minute. I love my boy and I am very happy to have him home."

courtesy : Zeenews.com
Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications
http://nithya-subramanian.blogspot.com/

dwarakesh

'Slumdog' puts Bollywood in spotlight

With 'Slumdog Millionaire' making it big in the United States, there's whole new focus on films made in India as Hollywood studios are vying to join hands with Bollywood filmmakers.

'Slumdog Millionaire', shot in India with Indian actors and musicians, is based on an Indian novel.

The film is said to have opened the doors of Hollywood to an industry that makes more than 1,000 movies annually, with over 3 billion tickets sold.

Recently, Bollywood filmmakers have signed a range of creative and commercial deals with Hollywood production houses, studios and stars.

All deals came as a result of a booming economy over the past five years, which made Indian moviemakers to dream about Hollywood.

And with 'Slumdog' winning eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture, there is a feeling that U S filmmakers will be interested in India, and that the U S will be hungry for Indian films.

"There is a natural synergy between the film industries in India and the U S India is a democracy, has a massive movie-going market and an open entertainment policy with no government restriction," the Washington Post quoted Amit Khanna, chairman of Reliance Big Entertainment, as saying.

Big Entertainment is the most aggressively expanding entertainment company in India, and has signed a 1.2 billion-dollar, debt-equity deal with Steven Spielberg's DreamWorks SKG for 36 movies over six years.

Source: ANI

nithyasubramanian

'Slumdog Millionaire' laden with impossible scenes: Salman Rushdie

Atlanta, Feb 23: Famed novelist Salman Rushdie apparently wasn't too impressed with the Oscar-winning film "Slumdog Millionaire," telling an Atlanta audience it "piles impossibility on impossibility."

Rushdie, who spent years in hiding after Iran's Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini called for the author's death in 1989, made the remarks Sunday during a speech to more than 1,000 people at Atlanta's Emory University. The author criticized other Oscar winners adapted from books, including "The Reader" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports the 61-year-old author of "The Satanic Verses" complained about several scenes, including one in which characters wind up at the Taj Mahal — 1,000 miles from the previous scene.

"Slumdog Millionaire" won eight Oscars on Sunday, including best picture.

Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

nithyasubramanian

The woman who groomed Slumdog's heroine

NEW DELHI: Indian actress Freida Pinto is making waves internationally for her walk down the Oscar red carpet, her designer gowns and gracing the covers of popular magazines, thanks to "Slumdog Millionaire". But not many know the woman who helped groom her and introduced her to British director Danny Boyle.

Sushma Puri, a grooming instructor and owner of Elite Model Management India in New Delhi and Mumbai, groomed and launched Freida when she began her career in modelling in 2005. Freida's photograph was among those of a few others that Puri had sent to Loveleen Tandon, the casting director of "Slumdog Millionaire".

And now she just can't stop praising here protege.

"My agency has worked very closely with the casting team of 'Slumdog Millionaire'. We received a call from Loveleen Tandon's office when they were casting for the movie.

"We sent pictures of some of the girls who fit the brief. Freida was immediately put on the short list. She went on to audition for the part.

Over the next six months, we were asked to send Freida many times over for various screen tests. Finally, Boyle personally selected her for the role," Puri told.

Born Oct 18, 1984 in Mumbai, Pinto was a professional model before starring in "Slumdog Millionaire" as Latika. She also hosted international travel show "Full Circle" on Zee International Asia Pacific between 2006-2008.

"Freida began her modelling career in mid 2005 with Elite. She had never modelled before she signed up with us. She visited the Elite office in Mumbai with some pictures shot by her friends.

We realised that she was good and offered her a modelling contract. We have also featured her on the Elite calendar for two years," Puri said.

Freida had an edge over "newcomers" because she was confident and articulate. She was naturally comfortable in front of the camera, said Puri.

Six years ago, Puri decided to set up Elite India after she realised that the country required grooming schools and more modelling agencies because the profession was becoming a mainstream career option for girls in metros.

"We represent some of the best and biggest names in fashion and commercial modelling," she claimed.

Anushka Sharma, who starred in "Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi" opposite Shahrukh Khan, former Miss India Neha Kapur, and top models Vipasha Agarwal, Sonalika Sahay and Diana Penty are some of the other faces launched by Puri's Elite agency.

"I don't know how many Indian girls will see that level in Hollywood although I believe this has opened up doors for others. However, Bollywood is within reach. A good example is Anushka Sharma," Puri said.

courtesy : Express Buzz.
Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

nithyasubramanian

'Slumdog Millionaire' takes million rands in South African opening

Johannesburg, March 12: Following its recent sweep at the Oscars, "Slumdog Millionaire" raked in more than a million rands after opening at 20 cinemas across South Africa this past weekend.

The Mumbai-based movie by British filmmaker Danny Boyle grossed over 1.4 million on its opening weekend, playing to sold out houses and clinching the number one spot in the hearts of moviegoers everywhere.

Lining up against Hollywood hit "Watchmen", the other high-profile opener over the weekend, "Slumdog Millionaire" made 22 percent more at the box office with 68 percent less prints than "Watchmen".

At a print average of just over 70,000 rands, "Slumdog Millionaire" more than doubled the print average of "As it is in Heaven", the most successful film of all time in South Africa.

"It is rare to find a film that is both a critical and commercial success, but 'Slumdog Millionaire' has gone into this unique millionaire's club," Isabel Rao, chief executive of major cinema group Ster-Kinekor Distribution, told IANS.

"This is a film that overcame its 'art/niche' label and went on to perform commercially to audiences everywhere."

Rao said Slumdog Millionaire was the top film at the South African box-office, on all circuits - art and commercial.

"The film's success epitomises the communal interaction of moviegoing and its unique ability to transcend cultural barriers makes it truly a 'one-in-a-million' success story."

Rao expressed the hope that this success of a film about life in Mumbai would also encourage audiences across all communities in South Africa to watch more Indian movies as well: "We hope the film's success also serves to inspire audiences to sample Indian cinema more broadly."

Ster-Kinekor has been screening Bollywood movies for nearly a decade now at its cinemas across the country, but has become more selective in recent years, opting only for some of the best titles.

However, the support has come mainly from the South African Indian community and Indian expatriates here, with a sprinkling of interest from Black and White patrons.

Two of the bigger titles screened here last year were "Jodhaa Akbar", which grossed 289,000 rands on its opening weekend, and the highly-acclaimed Aamir Khan film "Taare Zameen Par", which only grossed 51,000 rands on its opening weekend but went on to do much better.

Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

nithyasubramanian

Slumdog Millionaire kids to catwalk at WIFW

The dream run continues for "Slumdog Millionaire" stars Rubina and Azharrudin who are set to sashay down the ramp for designer duo Ashima-Leena at the Wills India Fashion Week beginning here next week.

"As we watched these two beautiful children Rubina and Azhar, bringing the rare honour to our country, our hearts melted with emotions with the thought of their getting back to the slums after all the fame and glory they enjoyed," says designer Leena Singh.

The capital-based designers, who have been doing solo shows with the WIFW since its inception in 2000 have not had any celebrity endorsements so far.

"We are a very business oriented brand and have always believed that our clothes are the stars. But the thought of these two innocent children touched our hearts returning to the slums. we really felt very bad and decided to do something for them which will make them keep going in life," says the designer.

Both Rubina and Azaruddin who starred as the young Latika and Jamal in the eight Oscar winning film "Slumdog Millionaire" will be wearing outfits specially designed by Ashima Singh.

"Ashima is just finishing up the designs for the children. They will be wearing clothes that have a very global look," Leena told the media without giving further details. 

The designer duo both sisters in law who began their business in 1993 has made it their policy to adopt one orphan every year and provide them with financial aid and support for their education.

"Surely, it would make a difference and collectively we can make this world beautiful for them," says Leena adding that so far they have adopted 16 children and would also launch a special foundation for underprivileged children. 

The foundation would be closely associated with Delhi-based NGO Khushii, founded by cricketer Kapil Dev.   

"The walk for the kids does not end at the ramp. We want them to enjoy all the privileges in the long walk of life ahead. The show is just the beginning. We are setting up the ashima-Leena Jai Ho Foundation for the welfare of  children," says Leena. 

courtesy : Times Now.
Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

nithyasubramanian

Police clear "Slumdog" child star Rubina's father for now

Police said on Wednesday they had no evidence to suggest that the father of Rubina Ali, a child star in the Oscar-winning film "Slumdog Millionaire", tried to sell his daughter.

The mother of 9-year-old Rubina demanded an investigation after a sting operation by a British tabloid alleged her father tried to sell her for 200,000 pounds ($290,000).

Rubina's father, Rafiq Qureshi, and other slum dwellers were subsequently questioned by police.

"So far there is no evidence of any offence, hence there is no registration of complaint and no arrest," Nisar Tamboli, a senior police officer, told Reuters on Wednesday.

Rubina, who starred as the youngest incarnation of the film's heroine, Latika, lives with her father and stepmother in a teeming slum in the suburbs of the financial hub.

Rubina's father had denied to the media that he was trying to sell her.

The sting operation by the News of the World quickly made headlines in India and abroad.

Slumdog Millionaire, a rags-to-riches romance about a slum boy competing on a TV game show, won eight Academy Awards earlier this year.

In the lead-up to the Oscars, the success of "Slumdog" around the globe was overshadowed by objections in India to its name, which some Indians found offensive, its depiction of the lives of impoverished Indians and the treatment of the cast.

But since the film's sweep of Oscars, India's media got caught in a patriotic frenzy and politicians jumped on the bandwagon to praise the film.

This week, a charitable trust from Qatar, offered to pay for Rubina's education, which is already being taken care off by the producers of the film.

The family said they were willing to accept help, although Rubina's education was already being sponsored.

courtesy : Yahoo News.
Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

vancuper

Slumdog Millionaire is a really awesome Movie. I seen these Slumdog Millionaire Movie Four Times. Slumdog Millionaire was a Fantastic Movies and I enjoyed this Slumdog Millionaire Movie. I like these Slumdog Millionaire Movie because The Concept of this Movies are totally different than other Movies.

parlin

That's really Proper and Interesting Information. Nice facts about movie. Slumdog Millionaire is one of the my favourite movie and I watched this more then ten times. Excellent heart touching story and great play role by all characters.

jokendy45

Slum dog millioners is the best movie which win the lot of awards .
The Oscar award is the one of the big award for them which is honour for this movie.

Stephen.joyce77

Slumdog millionaire is an excellent film.
A quality film with excellent performances & outstanding music.
JAI HO !!!!

laura89

My friend has recommended this film for many times, but I still don't watch it.
what a pity!