Apr 24, 2019, 11:01 PM

News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

All about Slumdog Millionaire - Interesting News Behind this Film!!!

Started by Kalyan, Jan 22, 2009, 01:13 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

nithyasubramanian

'Slumdog' Dev Patel roped in for Shyamalan's 'The Last Airbender'

Mumbai, Feb 04: 'Slumdog Millionaire' lad Dev Patel is no underdog. The actor's praiseworthy performance in the flick has caught the eye of who's who of the entertainment world. Just one movie old, the young lad is already going places and his popularity quotient already beats that of the top notch industry biggies.

After Danny Boyle's much acclaimed film, 'Slumdog Millionaire' turned the young debutant into an overnight sensation, the latest director who is vying to cast Patel is the thriller maker M Night Shyamalan.

According to the latest buzz, Patel has signed on the dotted line for Shyamalan's next flick 'The Last Airbender'. Though the filmmaker had his eyes set on Patel even before he came under the arc lights, he held back due to certain inhibitions. However, once the director saw Patel in his debut venture, all inhibitions vanished and he immediately got Patel on board.

Speaking to a news daily, Shyamalan said, "Dev was one of the guys I was interested in. Then I saw Slumdog Millionaire; the kid just grew in my eyes".

The actor will be seen essaying the role that was initially offered to pop star Jesse McCartney but after Jesse's career as a "musician" interfered, Patel was roped in. the actor will enact the role of Prince Zuko in the film.

Based on a hit animated television series 'Avatar-The Last Airbender', the film is set to hit screens in 2010.

courtesy : Zeenews.com

Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications
http://nithya-subramanian.blogspot.com/

Kalyan

'Slumdog Millionaire' now in Tamil

With English and Hindi versions doing well at the box-office, the Tamil version of Danny Boyle's "Slumdog Millionaire" is now all set to be released in Tamil Nadu later this month.

According to sources, K Natarajan of Falcon Films has been given the rights to dub the British-Indian movie in Tamil.

Popular Tamil actor Simbu is dubbing for Dev Patel, the movie's hero.

The Tamil version is expected to do well as the composer of its music, A R Rahman hails from the state. Rahman has been nominated for three Oscars including in the best original musical score category.

The musical wizard earlier won the Golden Globe for his Original Score in the movie, whose director Danny Boyle won accolades at the Screen Actors' Guild Awards.

Famous playback singer S P Balasubramaniam has lent his voice for Bollywood actor Anil Kapoor who quizzes the hero in the film and Actor Radha Ravi for Irfan Khan and the movie has been titled "Naanum Koteeswaran"(I am a Millionaire too).

"Slumdog Millionaire", which has received ten Oscar nominations, including best picture and best director, is the rags to riches story of a slum boy who strikes it rich after winning a TV quiz show.

source : economic times

Prashanth

A court here Thursday deferred hearing in a defamation case against the Indian cast of Oscar-nominated film 'Slumdog Millionare' for allegedly 'abusing slum dwellers'. The court slated the next hearing for Feb 18.

In his petition, Tapeshwar Vishwakarma, the general secretary of the Jhuggi Jhonpdi Sanyukta Sangharsh Samiti (a group promoting the rights of slum dwellers), has accused music director A.R. Rahman, actor Anil Kapoor and other Indians associated with the film of 'offending the sensibilities of slum dwellers with the abusive title of the movie'.

No charge, however, was filed against the film's director Danny Boyle, who is a British citizen.

'The court of the chief judicial magistrate did not hear the petition and fixed next date of hearing for Feb 18,' Shruti Singh, lawyer for the petitioner, told IANS here.

'The name of the film is against basic human values,' she said.

A copy of the petition has been sent to the National Human Rights Commission, the State Human Rights Commission and the Film Censor Board of the central government.

Meanwhile, a group of slum dwellers protested against the showing of the film at Ashok cinema hall here and tore down posters and banners of the film. They demanded that the filmmaker remove the word 'dog' from the title.

source:yahoo

dhilipkumar

All you need to know about Slumdog Millionaire

It's already the most talked-about film of the year - and it's set to sweep the Oscar nominations tomorrow. But there's a lot that went on behind the scenes. Tim Walker has the lowdown

'Slumdog Millionaire' was all set to go straight to DVD after the film's original studio backer, Warner Independent (a division of Warner Brothers), closed down in May 2008. Luckily, the Fox studio's indie film division, Fox Searchlight, picked it up for theatrical release

During filming, Azza, the Mumbai boy who was cast as Jamal's brother Salim, had his house bulldozed by the city council - a common occurrence in the slums where much of the shoot took place. The crew found him sleeping on a car roof.

The three youngest child leads, who were all cast from the Mumbai slums, are now having their schooling funded by the film's producers. With the promise of a trust fund should they pass their exams at 16.

Anil Kapoor, who plays Prem Kumar, the host of 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?' in 'Slumdog', donated his fee to Plan India, a child development NGO in Delhi, devoted to raising awareness about child abuse, trafficking, education and rehabilitating deprived children.

Kapoor has starred in almost 100 Bollywood films. The real Indian version of the gameshow, 'Kaun Banega Crorepati', has been presented by two of his fellow Bollywood superstars, Amitabh Bachchan (who also features in 'Slumdog' as young Jamal's celebrity obsession) and Shahrukh Khan. Khan turned down the role of Prem in 'Slumdog' after deciding that the character was too negative.

Director Danny Boyle almost didn't film the now-famous lavatory scene, in which young Jamal crawls through a cesspit to get an autographed photo of his favourite star, because it was too similar to a scene in 'Trainspotting' (1996), in which Ewan McGregor climbs into a loo to retrieve opium suppositories.

Lead actor Dev Patel's 'Slumdog' audition was only his second ever. His first was for Channel 4's teen series 'Skins', where Boyle's teenage daughter Caitlin talent-spotted him for the role of Jamal. Last week, he was nominated for a Bafta for best actor. Not bad going.

Bollywood composer AR Rahman, who wrote the score for 'Slumdog', has worked on British productions before. He composed music for 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age' (2007), and in 2002, he composed the musical 'Bombay Dreams'.

Boyle was slightly uncomfortable with the film's marketing campaign, which features posters of the two leads grinning in a shower of confetti with a quote calling it the "feel-good film of the decade". Considering that the film features poverty, torture and murder, says Boyle, "You can't go in expecting it to be 'Mamma Mia!'"

The budget for 'Slumdog' was the smallest of all the nominees for the Golden Globe 2009 award for Best Picture - Drama, which it won. 'Frost/Nixon' cost $25m, 'The Reader' $33m, 'Revolutionary Road' $35m and 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' a whopping $150m, 10 times Slumdog's $15m.

Mercedes-Benz asked for its logo to be removed from any scenes shot in the slums. According to Danny Boyle, the car-maker feared that such an association with a poverty-stricken area would dent its image as a luxury brand.

Two of the film's climactic scenes were shot in the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus station, which was formerly Victoria Terminus, and is commonly called Bombay VT station. It is the scene of one of the terrorist attacks that took place in Mumbai on 26 November; a pair of gunmen killed more than 50 people in the passenger hall. Boyle now says he believed "you should never talk about the film in terms of the attacks, because one's an entertainment and the other is a tragedy. But the scene in the station [is one] of unapologetic romantic love... It's utterly naive, and it says love conquers all. And [I'm] proud of that. It's unintentional, obviously. But it was the best thing I could possibly say."

The scene in which Jamal is tortured was meant to be funny, says Boyle. "[It] was written as comedy, which is how I thought I'd directed it. When the scene plays in the West, everybody thinks it's about Guantanamo, but in India torture is accepted as part of the culture, like bribery." Sergeant Srinivas, the police officer, is played by the Indian actor, writer and director Saurabh Shukla.

Simon Beaufoy, who adapted the screenplay for 'Slumdog' from the novel 'Q&A' by Vikas Swarup, made three research trips to India to interview street children. He says he wanted to convey the slums' "sense of this huge amount of fun, laughter, chat, and sense of community". Boyle wasn't interested in directing a script about 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?' until he heard it had been written by Beaufoy (who also wrote 'The Full Monty').

One of the film's opening scenes is a chase through Mumbai's Dharavi slum - the largest slum in Asia. Boyle says it was based on a 12-minute police chase in the Indian film 'Black Friday', about the 1993 Bombay bombings. One of his other reference points was 'Satya', a 1998 film about the Mumbai underworld, written by Saurabh Shukla (who plays Sergeant Srinivas in Slumdog)

Boyle "fibbed" to his US producers that he wanted to translate about 10 per cent of the dialogue for 'Slumdog' into Hindi, then translated almost a third of the script.

'Slumdog' will be released in India on Friday. The film has not been universally praised by Indians. A debate started by commentators on Bollywood star Amitabh Bachchan's blog included criticism of the film's depiction of India as a "Third World dirty underbelly developing nation".

nithyasubramanian

'Slumdog' director Danny Boyle blasts 'child actors paid unfairly' claims

London, Feb 06: 'Slumdog Millionaire' director Danny Boyle has dismissed claims suggesting that child actors in his critically acclaimed film were not paid fairly, insisting that the facts have been misreported.

Speaking at the London Film Critics' Circle Awards, where the film won three awards, Boyle said that the wages reported are not true.

"The figures that were released were not true at all," a news daily quoted him as saying.

"The actors were paid very well. We have not released any figures - either what they were paid or what they will receive when they complete their education because it would make them vulnerable to certain elements, because they are quite large sums of money," he added.

He said that the production company wanted to make sure that the child actors would benefit from a decent education as well as the money.

"We are very proud of the way we have dealt with everybody, and it's sad that it's been misreported by some people," he added.

Boyle walked away with the gong for British Director of the Year. The film, also won British Film of the Year and Screenwriter of the Year for Simon Beaufoy.

"It's been an extraordinary journey, but in a way I should have expected something extraordinary because the city we made it in does nothing by half," he said.

"Everything's max, there's no half measures, it's a full-on passionate city, so we should have expected it, but you don't.

"It's been incredible," he added.

courtesy : Zeenews.com
Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

nithyasubramanian

Dream run continues as Slumdog... bags 3 more awards

New Delhi: The dream run is continuing for Slumdog Millionaire. The film added three more awards to its kitty at the London Film Critics' Circle Awards on Wednesday night.

Slumdog Millionaire won the Attenborough British Film of the Year, while director Danny Boyle scooped the British Director of the Year award.

The third award went to Simon Beaufoy for Best Screenplay for the film.

The film's lead star, Dev Patel lost out in the Best Actor category to Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler.

Slumdog Millionaire continues its journey towards the Oscars at the end of the month but before that, there is another big stop in London for the BAFTAs this weekend.

courtesy : IBN Live.

Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

nithyasubramanian

Chembur boy lends voice to Jamaal in 'Slumdog Crorepati'

Even as Jamaal Malik's head was being shoved into a bucketful of water by cops so that he would explain his miraculous journey from a 'Slumdog' to a 'Millionaire', a 21-year-old from Chembur in suburban Mumbai underwent a similar experience though for different purpose.

"I was strangulated and pulled up. My mouth was filled with water so that I could utter the dialogue properly for a scene, Pratik Motwani, who lent his voice to the character in the Hindi version 'Slumdog Crorepati' said.

"As the English version of the movie was filmed using the sync sound technology (a technology where dialogues are recorded during shooting itself), I had to understand the character's emotions in each scene and then say my dialogues," he said.

However, this was only a tip of the iceberg as far as challenges for the Engineering graduate in Electronics and Telecommunication was concerned.

A scene in the movie where Jamaal says, "I wake up every morning in hope that I didn't know the answer to that  question" gave him the maximum trouble.

"The dialogues for that particular scene when translated into Hindi is quite long compared to the original version. Besides, it was a right close-up shot hence matching up the lip movement was a big challenge," Pratik said.

Co-director Loveleen Tandon, who also wrote the dialogues in Hindi, came up with an accurate translation and asked me to say my lines quickly. This went off well as the lip movement matched perfectly, he said.

The whole film was performance oriented so I enacted each scene before dubbing for it, Pratik said.

Pratik, who had a stint as a actor with the Avikal theatre group, says he had watched the film five to six times before dubbing for it.

"When I had gone for the auditions all I knew about was only one dialogue where Jamaal screams "Latika...Latika". I had no clue about the movie. So I was asked to watch it thoroughly before dubbing," he said.

Working for the film has been an enriching experience for this wannabe actor.

"I got an opportunity to interact with actors Anil Kapoor, Irrfan Khan... and Loveleen was there to support me all the way through. When Danny (Boyle) complimented me for my work it was one of the proudest moment for me," he said.

"It was during one such interaction that I came to know that Anil and I attended the same school, OLPS Chembur."

However, despite lending his voice for a character that has captured the imagination of the audience worldwide, Pratik, who overcame competition from more than 70 persons for the assignment, says he will not entertain anymore dubbing assignments.

"I have always wanted to be an actor. I decided to give this a shot only after a friend who worked with the production unit told me about the opportunity to work in Danny Boyle's film," he said. 

courtesy : TimesNow.

Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

dwarakesh

'Slumdog Millionare' poised to gross Rs 300 mn in India

Oscar contender "Slumdog Millionaire", which has received global critical acclaim and become a worldwide box-office success, has raked in
Rs 215 million since its Jan 23 release in India and is expected to gross about Rs.300 million.

"We expect 'Slumdog Millionaire' to make about Rs 300 million in India. Considering the fact that it is not one of the formula films, its box-office performance in India so far is really gratifying. Frankly, it was beyond our expectations," Vijay Singh, CEO of Fox Star Studios that brought the film to India, told media.

The money made by the film in India is nearly four percent of its worldwide collection of Rs 5.30 billion.

Fox Star has released both the English and Hindi versions of "Slumdog Millionaire" in India. Expectedly, the Hindi version, "Slumdog Crorepati" has fared better at the box-office, contributing 30 percent more to the distributor's kitty.

"The Hindi version is doing better business in the smaller centres. In fact, we had to increase the number of prints of the Hindi version in the second week of its run following the public demand in those centres," Singh said.

"Slumdog Millionare" opened with Rs 135 million overall and its per print earnings in second week stood at Rs 592,000 in an average, which is excellent for a film of its genre when taken into account that as many 363 prints of the film were in circulation in the second week of its run in India.

Although the number of prints has been reduced to 350 in the third week, according to Singh, multiplexes in some cities have increased the number of shows to cater to the demand.

The heart-warming story of a poor boy from the slums of Mumbai who goes on to win the Indian version of TV game show "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" has won top prizes from the Directors Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild and Producers Guild of America, as also the Golden Globes and Critics' Choice Awards.

The film by British Director Danny Boyle is also leading in the Oscar race with 10 nominations.

Source: Economictimes

nithyasubramanian

'The Slumdog team made my son an actual human being'

Ten-year-old Mohammed Azharuddin may not be living his cricketing namesake's confortable life but this child is enjoying his share of success as well.
Azhar plays the youngest Salim in Danny Boyle's Oscar nominated film, Slumdog Millionaire, and is quite amused by the constant media flow into his home -- a tent made of hoarding banners, in the slums of Bandra, in suburban Mumbai.

His family seems poorer than even Rubina Ali, the slum-dweller who played Latika in Slumdog, who has her own brick home.

Azhar's family has been living in this tent for the past 15 years. His father Mohammed Ismail suffers from tuberculosis, and is admitted to TB hospital in Sewri. He needs to stay in the hospital for at least eight months, since his condition has worsened. We learn that he has a drinking problem, which has spoilt his liver as well.

Azhar lives with his mother Shamim Begum. His two sisters are married, while his older brother Irfan lives in their native place.

courtesy : Rediff news.
Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

Kalyan

Not everyone is raving about Slumdog Millionaire

Everyone is raving about Slumdog Millionaire, which has bagged quite a few awards and nominations. And the film seems certain to win a couple of Oscar awards.

Yet, there are a handful who feel that the film does not, in fact, deserve the applause.

Shamal Sengupta, who teaches direction at Subhash Ghai's filmmaking institute Whistling Woods in Mumbai, tells us why he disliked Slumdog Millionaire.

Broadly speaking, Slumdog is just an olden-day story, the way the whites or the westerners interpret India. It is an on-your-face look at reality. As an Indian, I know we cannot discard poverty. But there is a way to portray it.

There have been many movies based on Indian poverty. City of Joy was based on (slum) people in Kolkata. Directed by Roland Joffe, the film was a complete misrepresentation of the city. I was horrified with that movie. I can see the same mentality in Slumdog.

Slumdog may not be as bad as City of Joy but I didn't expect this from Danny Boyle. He has a different sensibility, and for him to make Slumdog was a shock. He is one of finest directors I have known. I was greatly disappointed.

source : rediff

Go Up

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

shortcuts: alt+s submit/post or alt+p preview
IT Acumens | GinGly :: SMS Backup | Acumen :: Discussion Board | AshokPillar :: Hosting | CineBuzz :: Latest Cinema News | My Kids Diary :: Capture your kids magical moment
Copyright 2005 - 2017 :: IT Acumens :: All Rights Reserved.
ITAcumens Forum with 2 lakhs post running for 10 years - Powered by HostGator Dedicated Server