Oct 23, 2019, 02:25 PM

News:

MyKidsDiary.in :: Capture your kids magical moment and create your Online Private Diary for your kids

All about Slumdog Millionaire - Interesting News Behind this Film!!!

Started by Kalyan, Jan 22, 2009, 01:13 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Kalyan

I feel proud of Rahman, says Boyle

Mumbai: Slumdog Millionaire director Danny Boyle on Thursday said he was very proud the film music director A R Rahman, who got three Oscar nominations. "I feel extremely proud of AR, who couldn't be with us at the Mumbai premiere of the film. Like I said earlier when he went to receive his Golden Globe, things are changing."

Although Beaufoy has been nominated once before for the loveable film, 'The Full Monty', this is Boyle's first Oscar nomination. "One mustn't get too greedy," he laughed. "The Indian release means a lot to me. I wasn't even thinking about the Oscars."

Resul Pookutty, who's been nominated for sound mixing and is a permanent Chennai import for Bollywood, said he was pinching himself to believe the unbelievable. "I've been nominated at the BAFTA too," said the bearded sound engineer. "For a technician, a nomination on these platforms is extremely gratifying."

Slumdog Millionaire is in the race for Best Picture against The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost Nixon, Milk and The Reader.
    Co-director Lovleen Tandon said she could understand Rahman's nervousness and excitement. "We are all in a state of shock," said Tandon. "I was in tears. This is the first time an Indian has received three Oscar nominations."

Asked if the team had ever expected the movie to capture the world's imagination in the way that it had, Rahman said, "We weren't expecting one nomination when we set out to make it. But that's the beauty of art. We never think of any of these things while creating it. This movie has created so much optimism for India."

Having completed the score for Slumdog Millionaire in three weeks must have been a great challenge for the composer. What was the inspiration behind the music? "The inspiration was the movie itself and its message. Danny Boyle, Simon Beaufoy, Vikas Swarup, they made it easy."

Referring to the two nominated songs, Rahman said while 'Jai Ho' had a celebratory feel and tied the whole movie together, 'O Saya' reflected a mood of liberation. "This has been a great musical journey. And I'm very happy to share this moment with my family," he said.

source : timesofindia

dhilipkumar

CHENNAI: British film Slumdog Millionaire, which scripts the rags to riches rise of a boy who grows up in the slums of Mumbai, is finding endorsement from unexpected quarters.

The movie has earned the admiration of Home Minister, P Chidambaram who urged a gathering in Chennai to watch the movie, as it was representative of grit and enterprise that thrives in the slums of India.

"Please watch the movie," he said. Mr Chidambaram, however, didn't specify if he had seen the movie himself.

Mr Chidambaram was speaking at the launch of the "BYST" growth fund in Chennai, a fund formed by IFC and VentureEast, which would provide finance and mentoring for young grass root Indian entrepreneurs, constrained by limited resources

Mr Chidambaram, who till a few months back, held the Finance portfolio, said the movie's story should inspire banks to grant loans to enterprising entrepreneurs from the slums, budding with business ideas. He further said that people from the slums didn't lag behind corporate India in this respect.

Slumdog Millionaire, which won four Golden Globe awards and ten nominations for the Oscar, has probably been the most talked about movie in recent weeks. Not just for its India-centric storyline but also its music composer AR Rahman, who after having won a Golden Globe, now has three Oscar nominations to his credit.

He used the Slumdog Millionaire anecdote in this context, canvassing for more funds to promote entrepreneurship among the poor. "A slum like Dharavi in Mumbai is humming with business ideas and innovation, so we have to reach out to these people. Formal education does not necessarily measure success. Men and women are innovative and are willing to take the risk of starting a business venture," he said.

Besides the movie example, Chidambaram also cited instance of a girl in a Delhi slum who started a beauty salon with a government loan. He said such efforts from the government helped in creating in more self-employment amongst the slum dwellers.

dwarakesh

'Slumdog Millionaire' profits to go into fund

LONDON: Danny Boyle, director of "Slumdog Millionaire," has said that profits from the film would be ploughed back into the Mumbai slums where it was made.

The exact amount and how it should be spent would be discussed at a meeting of investors in London next week, but he indicated that it would be "significant." The money would be put into a fund for the children of these slums.

"What absolutely mustn't happen is that the money disappears, or people think it is a PR stunt," The Times reported Mr. Boyle as saying.

His remarks came after the makers of the film were accused of exploiting slum children and glorifying poverty to make money, though Mr. Boyle insisted that the decision to set up the fund had nothing to do with the criticism.

"This is our chance to give something back to an extraordinary city which has helped us produce an extraordinary film," he said.

Christian Colson, one of the producers of the film, denied that the two child stars -- Rubina Ali and Azharuddin Ismail -- had been underpaid. He claimed that for a month's work they were paid "three times the amount of an annual adult salary."

He also said that a substantial sum would be paid to the children once they reached 18 and completed their studies. "It's a carrot to encourage them to stay at school," Mr. Colson said.

Source: Hindu

nithyasubramanian

'Slumdog Millionaire' is mediocre, trashy: Director Priyadarshan

Mumbai, Feb 01: Indian movie director Priyadarshan has joined the bandwagon in slamming Danny Boyle's underdog saga "Slumdog Millionaire" and has called the film a "cheap trashy mediocre version" of erstwhile Bollywood hits.

" 'Slumdog Millionaire' is nothing but a cheap trashy mediocre version of those commercial films about estranged brothers and childhood sweethearts that Salim-Javed used to write so brilliantly in the 1970s. And please quote me clearly on this. If the Golden Globe and Oscars committees have chosen to honour this trashy film it just shows their ignorance of world cinema," Priyadarshan told a news agency.

Priyadarshan, whose much-acclaimed film on the silk weavers of Kanjeevaram was shown alongside Boyle's film at the Toronto Film Festival last year, feels Indians are exercising prideful property rights over a film that denigrates Mumbai.

"I saw the film with a mixed audience at the Toronto Film Festival. The Westerners loved it. All the Indian hated it. The West loves to see us as a wasteland, filled with horror stories of exploitation and degradation. But is that all there's to our beautiful city of Mumbai?"

He is surprised that Mumbai is celebrating a film that shows only the city's underbelly.

"Why are we taking this treatment? Just because a white man has made 'Slumdog Millionaire', we're so happy with it? I've read Vikas Swarup's novel 'Q&A'. It should have been made by Mani Ratnam. Then you'd have seen what he would have done with Mumbai."

The angry director wonders why there isn't a single shot in 'Slumdog...' that shows the more aesthetic side of Mumbai?

"Why has Danny Boyle not taken one shot of Marine Drive? Do his slumdwellers exist only within their slums? And look at the absurdities...A boy becomes a national hero on a game show. One cop takes him under arrest and interrogates him relentlessly. Where is everyone else? Is this kind of confinement possible in this day and age when television cameras enter your bedroom? If one of our filmmakers had made the same film we would have blasted him out of business."

"Let them give as many Oscars as they like. We don't need to be impressed," ends Priydarshan angrily.

courtesy : Zeenews.com
Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications
http://nithya-subramanian.blogspot.com/

nithyasubramanian

Danny Boyle wins DGA Award for 'Slumdog Millionaire'

LOS ANGELES: British director Danny Boyle has added another feather to his cap by bagging the top honour from the Directors Guild of America for "Slumdog Millionaire", brightening his chances to scoop an Oscar for the much-acclaimed rags-to-riches saga set on Mumbai.

The British-Indian film beat rivals like "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" (David Fincher), "The Dark Knight" (Christopher Nolan), "Frost/Nixon" (Ron Howard) and "Milk" (Gus Van Sant) to win the award.

The DGA awards have given another major boost to the film before the big Oscar night on February 22, since the DGA winners almost always triumph at the Academy Awards, going by trends over the last 50 years.

Set in the slums of Mumbai, the film has emerged a favourite in the award ceremonies.
The latest honour for "Slumdog Millionaire" follows its recent win at the Screen Actors Guild Awards, where it won best cast ensemble and best picture from the Producers Guild of America, the Los Angeles Times reported.

"Slumdog Millionaire" is being seen as the front-runner at the Oscars with 10 nominations, second only to "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" which has 14 nominations to its credit.
The DGA award is also a first for Boyle, who had never previously been nominated for it.

courtesy : ExpressBuzz.
Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

sajiv

Feb 02, 2009, 08:28 PM Last Edit: Feb 02, 2009, 08:30 PM by sajiv
Slumdog award

'Slumdog Millionaire' Wins 4 Golden Globes

Los Angeles: Danny Boyle was named best director for Slumdog Millionaire by the Directors Guild of America yesterday.

"If I can get here, you can," Boyle said as he accepted the trophy. "Dream kind and dream hard."

dwarakesh

'Slumdog' grosses $67.24 mn after another honour ahead of Oscars

After winning the top honour from the Directors Guild of America (DGA) for the Mumbai-set hit film "Slumdog Millionaire", British
Director Danny Boyle appears to be on the inside track for an Oscar at the Academy Awards ceremony on Feb 22.

The DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film is often an accurate indicator of who will land the Oscar for directing as 55 of the 60 past DGA award winners also went on to win the Academy Award for directing.

British Indian actor Dev Patel and newcomer Freida Pinto were among the numerous presenters at the awards gala dinner in Los Angeles Saturday, joining Hollywood actors like Sean Penn, Christian Bale and Jodie Foster.

"Slumdog Millionaire" is the eighth feature film directed by Boyle following such hits as "Trainspotting" and "28 Days Later".

The heart-warming story of a poor boy from the slums of Mumbai who goes on to win the Indian version of TV game show "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" has now won the top prize from the Directors Guild of America, Screen Actors Guild, Producers Guild of America, Golden Globes and Critics' Choice Awards.

Meanwhile, with an estimated gross of $7,680,000 over Jan 30-Feb 1, down 28 percent from last weekend, "Slumdog Millionaire" has earned a whopping $67,244,000 in its 12 week run in the US.

Now playing in 1,633 theatres, up 222 from last weekend, the film's per-theatre average earning was $4,703, according to movie website boxofficeguru.com.

Source: Economictimes

Kalyan

'Slumdog Millionaire' is like my story: Anil Kapoor

Versatile Bollywood actor Anil Kapoor, who played quizmaster in Danny Boyle's Oscar-nominated rags-to-riches story 'Slumdog Millionaire', says he sees a reflection of his own life in the film.

''Slumdog…' is like my story. I also started from scratch - a rags to riches story. I started in Chembur (a Mumbai suburb) and slowly climbed up. God has been kind in that way,' Anil said on CNN's show 'My City My Life'.

On the show, to be aired Thursday at 3 p.m., the actor tours the city and shows off 'his' Mumbai with clips of slums as well as the hangout spots of Bollywood's elite.

While doing a tour, the 49-year-old also talks about the success of 'Slumdog Millionaire', his first international venture.

The film triumphed at the Golden Globe awards and has also bagged 10 Oscar nominations.

'The film is basically a love story, but shot in a very realistic way. The film is not choreographed at all - it's very natural and real. There is nothing that is exaggerated or nothing that is downplayed,' said the actor.

The actor, whose first big hit was 'Tezaab' (1988), went on to give blockbusters like 'Ram Lakhan', 'Mr. India', 'Karma' and 'Beta'.

source : yahoo

dhilipkumar

'Slumdog Millionaire' in Tamil

CHENNAI: Slumdog Millionairewill soon be dubbed into Tamil. K. Natrajan of Falcon Films is producing it and the work is expected to be over this weekend. Titled Naanum Kodeeswaran, it has actor Simbu lending his voice for the hero Dev Patel. Veteran singer S.P.Balasubramaniyam has dubbed for Anil Kapoor and actor Radha Ravi, for Irfan Khan. It is to be released on February 14.

nithyasubramanian

Feb 04, 2009, 08:28 PM Last Edit: Feb 04, 2009, 08:32 PM by nithyasubramanian
Slumdog bashing!

Slumdog has certainly struck a nerve Like it or hate it, everyone has an opinion. Preliminary box-office reports say Slumdog isn't quite the millionaire he was expected to be in India. Despite all those Oscar nominations, despite the musical blandishments of local boy (and three-time Oscar nominee) A R Rahman, despite the reams of hype in the press, and despite director Danny Boyle and Co touring the TV channels in an endless cycle of promotion, the film just hasn't caught on the way it was expected to.

Yet, in a sense, the film is a bona fide phenomenon. Don't take our word for it - just ask those who've seen it. The instant reaction upon walking out of the theatre appears to be the overwhelming urge to discuss the film to pieces. Everyone has a strong opinion - about the film, about the reactions to the film, about the pieces written about the reactions to the film - and everyone is writing in a about it.

Cliche ridden

Slumdog depicts India the way a foreigner sees it and we cannot deny that. It's a good film but doesn't deserve the hype it is getting. It It is not just a personal opinion, but an assessment born of my passion for good cinema. Unlike the majority of Indian critics who can't digest the depiction of poverty and the ugly underside of Mumbai, I have no issues with the way Boyle has done it.

I felt some of the visuals were disgustingly fascinating -- like the man and the buffalo wading through muck during the chase scene. One can see the efforts made to locate such filth, guaranteed to turn the insides of anyone, leave alone the 'developed' western world audience.

My only grouse is that all this is used in a calculated manner to constitute the form of the movie while the content is so ordinary and full of cliches. Form has successfully overshadowed the pedestrian content. Nothing wrong in that as many slick, well-made formula movies have entertained people and made money. The problem is that this movie is critically acclaimed and awarded -- undeservingly so. Satyajit Ray was repeatedly criticised for his 'exploitation' of Indian poverty. But he focused on characters as human beings, rather than visuals designed to shock. That is why his characters are men and women of flesh and blood, not just cardboard caricatures, as seen in Slumdog.

Lastly, on the music award for this film. I've been a fan of Rahman right from his Dileep days and I have no doubt about his genius. Unfortunately, his score can in no way be termed the greatest or innovative. I have a sneaking suspicion Rahman may be aware of this irony. To call his work original is a travesty of justice, if not ignorance. I hasten to add that Rahman deserves global recognition, but more for his genius and contribution to music than for his score in Slumdog. If the end justifies the means, then Slumdog is a winner every which way you look at it.

One of the best movies I've ever seen. It's just about perfect. What stuck me above everything else was the pulsating, riveting soundtrack. The head pounding Indian music throws you into the perfect mood to carry you through the movie.

What am I missing? The critics love it (my favourite critic, Roger Ebert, called it a masterpiece). Walter loves it. The masses love it. So why didn't I love it? Could it be because I hate Who Wants to be a Millionaire even more than highwire walking?

With reference to the infamous "shit scene", it is significant since it shows the child's spirit. Nothing can stop him from achieving his goal (Big B in childhood, but later on the girl). Life on the streets teaches a child many things, as opposed to kids who appear on game shows after undergoing intense training. When the protagonist asks the compere of the show if he was feeling nervous, the former, having experienced various hurdles in his life, is least intimidated by the latter.

The "Slumdog Debate" shows how far we have turned away from reality. Let's accept that we are a poor nation. We have enough companies like Satyam to ensure that our poverty lasts several years. The film has rightly projected what we are. Our political bigwigs must work honestly and diligently to make us rich and prosperous. Until then, we have to tolerate such projected realities. Tantrums over the film will not alleviate our poverty.

The movie rightly portrays India's day-to-day reality. We cannot expect Boyle to put on display India's affluent who hideously ape the West. The world will obviously want to see India as it is and if we are ashamed it's time that we reformed ourselves by bridging the appalling gap between the haves and the have-nots.

However much we try to sweep poverty under the carpet, it cannot be ignored. The National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganised sector says 836 million Indians or 77 per cent of the population earn less than Rs 20 a day. Poverty is an ugly reality in India. It has a global market and there is nothing to grouse about if someone markets our poverty to get an award.

It is naive to believe movies like Slumdog can tarnish India's image. It does not require a movie to showcase India and its achievements. Indians have created a niche for themselves in space and nuclear technology, and at the same time more than 60 per cent of Indians live below the poverty line. I don't think one movie will change the world's perception of India.

Every Indian is happy that A R Rahman has bagged the Golden Globe and has been nominated for the Oscars. But the Mumbai Slum Dwellers' Joint Action Committee has filed a defamation case against Rahman and Anil Kapoor. In our country, there is freedom of speech, but no freedom after speech. Is it not sad?

Boyle has made a film that portrays every possible bias against India and structured it within the matrix of Western liberal perceptions. In keeping with the current American politics, it has been nominated for 10 Oscars. Our deracinated media, which constantly looks for inspirational good news stories that invariably revolve around Western appreciation of truthful portrayal of the Indian reality, has gone into a tizzy. Danny Boyle has cunningly changed the name of the film as also the main protagonist (in Vikas Swarup's Q&A) from Ram Mohammad Thomas to Jamal Malik. Looks like Boyle has rediscovered India and made appropriate changes to fit his film into the Hindu-bad-Muslim-good mould so that it has a resonance in today's America.

First, it was director Satyajit Ray who, with Pather Panchali, depicted the wrong side of our country. Now Slumdog is doing the same.

I hate Danny Boyle. Here I was listening to the film's audio track and immersing myself in ARR's music in all its pristine form. And then, I decide to watch the movie. An accompanying friend casually mentions that he was surprised to know Slumdog was from the same director who made a dark movie named Trainspotting. I wondered why such a director would make a movie about a kid getting lucky in a TV game show.

The film's music seemed divine to me -- be it the inspirational Jai Ho with its captivating crescendos, the contrasting highs Rahman and MIA reached in O Saya or the serene song titled Riots. However, somewhere between the vulgarities of diving into a cesspool, losing a parent in a senseless riot or the unknowing participation in a programme, Boyle manages to rob Rahman's music of its divinity by juxtaposing it with a series of starkly realistic images. He skilfully ties these images as distinct episodes of Jamal's life, destined to lead him to win Who Wants to Become a Millionaire. The suspense of the contest makes it an entertaining movie. Yet, to me, it was deeply disturbing. And I believe that is the best aspect of the movie -- the decadence of life is there for you to see if you choose to.

Boyle chronicles the story of Jamal without any ideological baggage; and shows Jamal's world as he sees it. By restricting himself to simply narrating the story, Boyle has created a mirror of a movie; and the audience's reaction has a lot to do with themselves rather than the movie. So whether the film exploits or depicts poverty is a question that could elicit a wide range of responses. And that is a measure of the director's success.

I have not seen Trainspotting. But I would imagine Slumdog indicates the expansion of Boyle's creative horizons. As for ARR's music, the film's realism refuses to let me escape into the heavenly sound of the music. And therein lay the key to ARR's success -- the soulfulness of his music complements reinforces the movie's realism. Slumdog may not be an epic, but it gets quite close to being one!

A grave error

I'd like to point out a serious error in the film. In the quiz, Jamal Malik is asked, "Who wrote the bhajan, Darshan do Ghanshyam?" The correct answer in the film is said to be Surdas. This answer is incorrect.

The bhajan is featured in the film, Narsi Bhagat (about the eponymous Gujarati saint poet) made by Devendra Goel in 1957. Even then, the song is attributed to Narsi Bhagat (as was the custom with classical poems and dohas) as suggested in the last few lines, Narsi ki yeh binati sun lo, bhakt vilasi re. I had experts (including the old music director of the film, Ravi) check and they confirm that G S Nepali wrote the bhajan but attributed it to Narsi Bhagat.

I wouldn't quibble about this normally but this is a film about a quiz show and how the protagonist keeps winning. He picks the blind, Surdas' name because he recalls a young singer friend who is blinded to beg. This gets him closer to the big prize. But the poem has nothing to do with Surdas.

courtesy : ExpressBuzz.
Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications

Go Up

Quick Reply

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

shortcuts: alt+s submit/post or alt+p preview
IT Acumens Web Design Chennai | GinGly :: Mobile SMS Backup | CineBuzz :: Latest Cinema News | My Kids Diary :: Kids magical moment :: Book domain name @ 99 Rs monthly
Copyright © 2005 - 2019 :: IT Acumens :: All Rights Reserved.
ITAcumens Forum with 2 lakhs post running for 14 years - Powered by IT Acumens Dedicated Server