News:

Choose a design and let our professionals help you build a successful website   - ITAcumens

Main Menu

WB ban puts Wipro BPO employees on edge

Started by dwarakesh, Jan 15, 2009, 12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarakesh

A large number of employees at the Wipro BPO offices in Kolkata are fearing the worst after the announcement that the World Bank had barred Wipro Technologies for doing business with it for four-years. This despite the fact the Wipro BPO is a separate entity from Wipro Technologies.

The Satyam fraud revelation has set panic in the IT/BPO sector across India who fear the worst is yet to come. "When I first heard the news, I was scared, coming as it does after the Satyam fraud. Although we are in the BPO sector and not directly linked with Wipro Technologies, we are scared," Debanjan Bhattacharya, a trainee who has just completed three months at the firm's Kolkata center as quoted in Express India.

Group leader Abhijeet Dey, however, was unaware of the recent developments on Wipro being banned by the World Bank. "I am not too sure about the developments. But the Satyam incident has surely triggered some panic among the younger staff here," said Dey, who heads a team of 25 executives.

Wipro's BPO facility in Kolkata was launched in 2004 and currently employs around 3,000 people in its Sector V office. Officials at the BPO said the facility was in no way affected by the World Bank's decision to blacklist it. State's IT minister Debesh Das said the new development has in no way affected the company's future plans in West Bengal.
"We are in constant touch with them and the company's plans in the state remain as they were," the minister was quoted.