India began Australia's downfall: Zaheer

Started by nithyasubramanian, Jan 10, 2009, 05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nithyasubramanian

Chennai: From a promising youngster to the spearhead of the Indian bowling attack, Zaheer Khan has come a long way and his sucess reflects the Indian team's healthy state. After an outstanding 2008, Zaheer is eager to take it forward to help India to reach the top. Zaheer spoke to CNN-IBN and confirmed that the mighty Aussies are very much beatable.

Zaheer Khan: For someone to compare me with Wasim Akram is definitely flattering, but he was a great bowler. He has done exceptionally well at the international level. Taking 500-odd one-day wickets and 400-odd Test wickets is really creditable. So I feel it's still a long way away for me. But it definitely reassures that I'm on the right path.

CNN-IBN: You must have seen South Africa beating Australia in the Test series. Do you feel that Australia's time of being No. 1 is finally coming to an end?

Zaheer Khan: We have started it all. We definitely have done very well against Australia over the past few years. That too reassures us of the fact that we're on the right way. We are winning matches for our country. About Australia, they are definitely a good side. But they are beatable. That is what all the teams are believing now and they're going to have tough times ahead.

CNN-IBN: Do you think by 2010, India would be the next No. 1 team in the world?

Zaheer Khan: We are just keeping things simple. We just want to win matches for the India. We want to play good cricket, and we want to continue this process right throughout. I don't think it's going to be any different in 2009 either. We are going to give our best and win matches for the country.
Thanks and Regards
- Nithya Subramanian
Kenvivo Communications
http://nithya-subramanian.blogspot.com/