News:

GinGly.com - Used by 85,000 Members - SMS Backed up 7,35,000 - Contacts Stored  28,850 !!

Main Menu

Register for sites without giving up contact info

Started by dhilipkumar, Dec 27, 2008, 04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhilipkumar

Register for sites without giving up contact info

How to install and use BugMeNot

I'm frequently, needlessly asked to register on sites just to see their content. In my personal life, I have to give my contact info just to view Snapfish photos or a MySpace page. And when working, I'll have to register to view a free newspaper site, find tech support on an obscure forum or even download product updates for software I bought. I always turn to BugMeNot to slay most of these requirements; the site stockpiles user-generated passwords and log-ins so you don't have to provide your own personal info. Preston Gralla, columnist and blogger for Computerworld picked a BugMeNot extension as one of the best add-ons for Firefox, and I agree. Here's how to install and use this extension. (Users of IE and other browsers can still tap the great service just by visiting the site.)

Visit the installation page, and click Add to Firefox. Click Accept and Install. A new window will open, and you should click Install Now. Restart Firefox. When you're faced with a dreaded required log-in for a free site, right click the username or e-mail address box and pick Login with BugMeNot. Repeat the process if the first attempt doesn't work; the plug-in might have used old information. Otherwise, you should slide right into the registration-required content without paying twice: once by giving up personal information and the second by wasting work time.