Crysis Warhead [PC Review]

Started by VelMurugan, Dec 25, 2008, 10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VelMurugan

Crysis Warhead [PC Review]

The game improves the original in every aspect and actually runs on most PC systems

Action

I remember the legendary war between Doom 3 and Half-Life 2: two games that were battling it out for FPS supremacy in 2004. It turned out to be one of the" best and last years of good PC gaming before the consoles took over.

Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 both faired well, selling over 3 million copies, but that year also saw the birth of a new IP called Far Cry. The game was developed and released by Crytek, and it was an instant hit -- it had the best of both worlds, amazing visuals as well as gameplay that was rather new to the FPS genre. The original Far Cry added an open environment that gave you complete freedom, one could play the game in multiple ways. The next offering from the celebrated studio was called Crysis and as we all know, even though the game was a visual marvel, it made most PC systems weep like a 3 year old. The follow-up to Crysis, Crysis: Warhead is almost the same game but it packs an optimized engine and an excellent multiplayer pack.

Warhead is the Crysis we should have first played, it's easier on the system, there are virtually no bugs and it packs more action than the first game.

Warhead follows the story of" Michael Sykes aka" Psycho, the loud and arrogant British" sergeant" who" accompanies" you to the island in the first game. The plot takes" place" in the same time frame as Crysis but on the other side of the frozen island. For those new to the party -- the North Koreans discover an alien artifact on a tropical island, the US sends you to investigate, both sides fight to take control over the item, until it pulls a fast one and freezes half the island. The plot is the same, and frankly it's about as deep and meaningful as a Kurt Russell flick (big fan Kurt, big fan). But when it comes to Warhead, it's the gameplay that strikes the right cord, with explosive action that will remind you of the glory days of B-grade action flicks.

Better In Every Way

The sandbox gameplay, lets you go about missions the way you please. You can go all gung-ho with guns blazing, or slide quietly like a snake, it's your" decision and the game is smart enough to" allow for the variation in play. The first thing that sets the game's heavy action tone is the intro: unlike the first game, this time around you see the action from a third person's perspective which adds a cinematic touch to it. Psycho is a crazy man, he packs more punch than Jason Statham and he loves blowing stuff up. The weapon's" arsenal" hasn't changed a lot but they have added a few more explosive add-ons. You also get a super-cool grenade launcher that packs six grenades at a time. I played the game on Normal and was surprised to see Crytek has made the game slightly easy. The first game was fairly difficult as it took more than one bullet to take care of most enemies; long range battle were an even bigger pain.

This time around the hit-box has been improved so you won't end up using an entire clip to kill one enemy. As mentioned before most other weapons were present in the first game and so don't expect any big surprises there. The shotgun is still my favorite weapon, combine that with a nice long range rifle and -- boom -- they make perfect partners. The enemy AI has been improved -- I noticed that every time I used cloak, the enemy would retreat behind cover, whereas in the first game they" would" aimlessly wander around.

There are a few more cinematic" sequences" than before, the frozen levels have more depth and you get to cruise along the snow in a hovercraft this time. The cinematic" sequences" I talked about are basically timed elements in the game that add some extra oomph. For example I remember jumping off a ramp in my hovercraft and two alien sentinels popped out at the exact same time, it was super-cool. It's evident that Crytek has gone through a lot of action flicks for setting up this game: explosive barrels are always placed at key locations; you will find" yourself" cornered too often with a bunch of missile launchers nearby and so on. This clearly indicates that Crytek wants to make sure you get the most out of the game, posing a threat yet providing a solution, if you are up for it." The nanosuit remains unchanged, your most" reliable" weapon is amazing and unique enough to make your FPS" experience different.

The game is short and can be completed in one sitting, it's roughly 5-6 hours, but on the higher difficulties you make take more time.

Crysis Warhead also packs an add-on called Crysis Wars. This is a multiplayer only add-on that provides a new gamemode as well as more maps than the original game. There are about 21 maps this time around, up to 32" players" can play at one time. The original had Power Struggle as well as Instant Action, this time we have a new game mode called Team Instant Action. The new game mode and maps make Crysis Wars a great addition.

Now for the most" important" bit: Crysis Warhead looks better than the original and it plays smoother. There are 4 different graphic settings, I played on Very High at 1400x900, and was able to" achieve" a very comfortable 30fps; although it would drop a little during multiple explosions, but that's acceptable." The explosions, world details and post-processing" effects make this the best looking game out there. You just can't compare this to any game out in the market. The sound effects deserve a mention as they make your sound system come alive. My guess is that anybody with a decent PC should be able to run the game at smooth frame rates and enjoy it to he fullest." These were the specs of my rig:

> E8400 Core 2 Duo( 3.0 GHz)
> 4GB Ram
> ATI" 4850

There are a few issues though: there is the occasional glitch in textures or a dumb move by the enemy AI, but they don't hamper your" experience, although I can't get over the fact that frozen enemies can withstand your bullets but touch them and they fall down in pieces. The battles are more grand and have a" lengthy" build up, it adds to the" excitement" of facing an alien the size of a building.

I said it before and I will say it again, this is the game EA should have brought us" the first time around -- it beats the original in every aspect, while keeping your PC as happy as a smurf.

Soruce : TechTree

ganeshbala