The computer helper: Living with laptops

Started by NAREN, Sep 30, 2008, 06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAREN

Laptop owners face problems that desktop users don't have. Concerns, for example, over battery life and preservation, an insufficient number of USB ports, and how best to transfer files from one notebook to another are common. Read on for some answers.

Q: Can my notebook computer be operated without the battery?

A: Most likely, yes. In fact, using your notebook without its battery may serve to extend the life of the battery. The reason is that some notebook batteries last longer when they are allowed to fully discharge before being recharged. If you use your notebook with the battery in, you're allowing your notebook to charge the battery automatically, and it is probably doing so well before the battery is fully discharged.

Q: My notebook's battery only lasts about half an hour when the notebook is unplugged. It used to last a lot longer. How long are notebook batteries supposed to last before I need a new one?

A: The life span of a typical rechargeable notebook battery is usually measured in discharge cycles - or how many times the battery is run down and then recharged. Most batteries are expected to last between 500 and 800 discharge cycles. That translates into between 1.5 and three years for most notebook users.

A reduction in the effective running time provided by your battery is most surely a sign that the battery is getting old. Unfortunately, once the battery starts exhibiting signs of aging, there's not a lot you can do to revive it. You should probably consider replacing the battery if you intend to keep the notebook.

The good news is that by the time most notebook users need to replace their battery, the notebook model is no longer current, and prices for replacement batteries may have come down. While notebook batteries aren't cheap - often they cost as much as 100 dollars or more - you may find good deals on original batteries by comparison shopping online. Parts dealers selling on eBay, for instance, often offer original batteries at substantial discounts. Just be sure that the battery you're buying is new and that is was made for the specific notebook model that you own.

Q: My notebook only has two USB ports. Is there a way that I can add more?

A: Yes. You'll need to look at notebook USB hubs, which are small devices that contain additional USB ports. The USB hub itself receives power from a single USB port in your notebook. In effect, then, a USB hub converts one USB port into several. Most USB hubs themselves contain four USB ports.

USB hubs come in a wide variety of shapes and configurations. There are wireless USB hubs, ones that clamp to the side of a desk, and some that can be tilted and swiveled in several directions for easy of access. Most are freestanding. The prices of USB hubs range from 10 to 40 dollars. Things to look for include whether the hub supports USB 2.0 and whether the individual ports themselves provide enough power to run more demanding peripherals such as external hard drives.

Q: I just bought my daughter a new notebook computer that runs Vista. Her old notebook runs Windows XP. What's the easiest way to transfer all of her applications and files to the new machine?

A: One of the most underreported - but helpful - features of Vista is the Easy Transfer wizard, which performs exactly the type of operating you're asking about. Easy Transfer works like this: you connect the two computers, and then run the Easy Transfer wizard from the machine running Vista. Follow the prompts, and several hours later you're done.

Sounds easy, but there are some details you need to attend to for a completely seamless transfer. First, you have to determine whether you can hook the computers up in some fashion - either by putting them on the same network so that they can see each other or by using an easy transfer cable, which you can find at many computer stores. A third option is to have and use an external hard drive to accomplish the transfer. This will require the most manual labour from you, however, as you'll first have to allow Easy Transfer to copy the necessary files to the external disk and then take the disk to the new computer to restore the files. If you have a wireless network at home, the easiest way to perform the transfer might be to hook up both notebooks to the router with an Ethernet cable, ensure that they can see each other, and then run the wizard.

Q: I have an older laptop with a 1.4 GHz Pentium M processor and 512 megabytes of RAM. I'd like to install Vista on this machine, but I'm afraid it isn't fast enough. Can I upgrade just the processor?

A: Perhaps. You'll have to determine a couple of things, though. First, is the processor soldered to your motherboard? While central processing units (CPUs) are typically inserted into a socket on the motherboard, making them candidates for relatively easy replacement, some notebook manufacturers solder the processor to the motherboard in order to avoid the cost of the socket. If it's soldered, you can't upgrade it.

Second, you would have to be sure that a processor of equivalent voltage is available. You should be able to check the support Web site of the manufacturer of your notebook to find out exactly the type of CPU that's in your machine and then purchase a faster model with the same voltage characteristics. While you're at the Web site, look for instructions on upgrading the CPU for your model. Some Pentium M to upgrade the processor
nice games here