ICSE Board Solved Exam Question Papers : ICSE 1996 : SCIENCE Paper 1 (Physics)

Started by NAREN, Sep 11, 2008, 11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAREN

SCIENCE

Paper 1 (Physics) - (One hour and a half)

SECTION I (40 Marks)

Attempt all questions from this Section.
Question 1
(a)   [4]

(i) Explain briefly why a balloon filled with helium gas rises in air. Why does the balloon rise to a particular height above the ground and does not rise further?

(ii) An ice-berg floats in fresh water with a part of it outside the water surface. Calculate the fraction of volume of ice-berg which is below the water surface. Given: Density of ice = 917 kg m−3. Density of fresh water = 1000 kg m−3
Question 1
(b)   [4]

(i) Relative density of silver is 10.8. What is the density of silver in S.I. Unit?

(ii) Diagram given alongside, shows refraction and emergence of a ray of light incident on a rectangular glass slab. Copy the diagram and mark the lateral displacement of the incident ray. Name the two factors on which the lateral displacement depends.

Question 1
(c) Two parallel rays of light enter the eye of a person suffering from myopia as shown in the diagram given alongside. Copy the diagram and

[4]

(i) Complete the ray diagram to show where the image is formed;

(ii) Name the type of lens required to correct the defect; and

(iii) Draw the diagram again showing the position of the correcting lens, two parallel rays to the lens and the position of the final image.
Question 1   [4]

(d) An object AB is placed on the principal axis of a convex lens as shown alongside in diagram. Copy the diagram. Using three rays starting from B and the properties of the points marked F1, O and F2; obtain the image formed by the lens (F1 and F2 are the foci).

Question 1
(e)   [4]

(i) Define a pair of complementary colours. Name the colours in one such pair.

(ii) Fill in the blanks in the following:
1 . A red rose appears .......... when seen in green light.
2. Red + Blue = ........
Question 1
(f)   [4]

(i) Define 1 watt and] kWh.

(ii) Convert 1 kWh into joules.
Question 1
(g) An electric bulb is marked 220 V, 100 W. The bulb is connected to a 220 V supply.   [4]

(i) Calculate: 1. resistance of the filament; 2. current flowing through the filament.

(ii) Is the filament resistance of the glowing bulb greater, smaller or the same compared to its resistance when it is not glowing?
Question 1
(h) There are three pins in an electric plug, answer the following:   [4]

(i) How would you identify the earth pin?

(ii) In which of the three connecting wires should a switch be connected?

(iii) Explain why a switch should not be touched with wet hands.
Question 1
(i) A given liquid changes into the gaseous state at a fixed temperature as well as at all temperatures.   [4]

(i) Name the process that takes place in each of the above two cases.

(ii) Mention two points of difference between the two cases in (i) above.
Question 1
(j) State the energy changes which take place while using the following:   [4]

(i) A microphone;

(ii) An electric bulb; and

(iii) A steam engine.

SECTION II (40 Marks)
Attempt any four questions from this Section.
Question 2
(a)   [6]

(i) Define the S.I. unit of force. Obtain a relation between the S.I. unit and the C.G.S. unit of force.

(ii) A man of mass 60 kg runs up a flight of 30 steps in 15 seconds. If each step is of 20 cm high, calculate the power developed by the man. Take g = 10 ms−2.
Question 2
(b)   [4]

(i) Define work and its S.I. unit.

(ii) Write an expression for the work done by a constant force acting on a body that gets displaced from its initial position in a direction different from the direction of the force.

(iii) Give an example when work done by a force acting on a body is zero even through the body gets displaced from its initial position by the application of the force.
Question 3
(a) Diagram given alongside shows an arrangement of four pulleys A load L is attached to the movable lower block and effort E is applied at free end of the string. Copy the diagram. and:

[4]

(i) Draw arrows to indicate tension in each part of the string; and

(ii) Calculate the mechanical advantage of the system.
Question 3
(b)   [6]

(i) Define specific heat capacity of a material.

(ii) A 30 g ice cube at 0°C is dropped into 200 g of water at 30°C. Calculate the jinal temperature of water when the entire ice cube has melted. Given: Latent heat of ice = 80 cal g−l; Specific heat capacity of water = 1 cal g−1 (°C)−1.
Question 4
(a)   [5]

(i) Define refractive index of a medium with respect to air.

(ii) Calculate the speed of light in water. Given: Speed of light in vacuum = 3 ×108 ms−1, and refractive index of
water = 4/3.

(iii) Calculate the power of a convex lens of focal length 25 cm.
Question 4
(b) In the diagram given along side, a source of light S is placed at the bottom of a beaker containing water.

[5]

(i) Copy the diagram and show the path of rays marked with arrows, after they meet the water-air boundary.

(ii) Does the ray, marked with one arrow, undergo refraction?

(iii) Name the phenomenon exhibited by the ray marked with three arrows.

(iv) State the conditions necessary for the phenomenon in (iii) above.
Question 5
(a)   [6]

(i) Define the phenomenon of resonance.

(ii) A stretched wire 0.5 m long is made to vibrate in two different modes as shown in diagram (A) and (B) given below:
1. If the wavelength of the wave produced in mode (A) is 1 m, what is the wavelength of the wave produced in mode (B) of the following diagram?
2. In which case is the note produced louder? Give a reason for your answer.
3. In which case is the pitch of the note produced is higher? Give a reason for your answer.

Question 5
(b)   [4]

(i) A TV station transmits waves of frequency 200 MHz. Calculate the wavelength of the waves, if their speed in air is 3.0 × 108 ms-1.

(ii) Give the approximate range of wavelengths in vacuum associated with U-V rays and visible light.
Question 6
(a)   [6]

(i) Write an expression for the resistance of a conducting wire in terms of its length and area of cross-section.

(ii) Two resistors of resistances 3Ω and 2Ω in parallel are connected to a cell of end 1.5 V and internal resistance 0.3Ω. Draw a labelled circuit diagram showing the above arrangement and calculate the current drawn from the cell.
Question 6
(b)   [4]

(i) Name the principle on which functioning of a transformer depends.

(ii) What is the function of a step-up transformer?

(iii) Can a transformer work when it is connected to a d.c. source?

(iv) Diagram given alongside shows schematically part of a step-down transformer. Draw the complete diagram in your answer sheet.

Question 7
(a)   [4]

(i) State the mechanism of  production of X-rays. Give two importance of X-rays.

(ii) What is the photoelectric effect? Draw a neat labelled diagram of a photoelectric cell.
Question 7
(b)   [6]

(i) Define nuclear fusion and state the necessary conditions for the same.

(ii) Why is energy released in a nuclear fusion reaction?
nice games here

NAREN

ICSE Board Solved Exam Question Papers : ICSE 2008 : SCIENCE Paper 1 (Physics)

SCIENCE

Paper 1 (Physics)

SECTION I (40 Marks)
Attempt all questions from this Section
Question 1
(a) Name the SI unit of:   [2]

(i) Linear momentum

(ii) Rate of change momentum.
Question 1

(b) A body of mass 1.50 kg is dropped from the 2nd floor of a building which is at a height of 12 m. What is the force acting on it during its fall? (g=9.80 m/s2).   [2]

(c) When an arrow is shot from a bow, it has kinetic energy in it. Explain briefly from where does it get its kinetic energy?   [2]

(d) What energy conversions take place in the following when they are working- (i) Electric toaster (ii) Microphone?   [2]

(e) Copy the diagram of the forearm given below, indicate positions of Load, Effort and Fulcrum.

[2]

Question 2   [2]

(a) (i) A monochromatic beam of light of wavelength λ passes from air into a glass block. Write an expression to show the relation between the speed of light in air and the speed of light in glass.

(ii) As the ray of light passes from air to glass, state how the wavelength of light changes. Does it increase, decrease or remain constant?
Question 2

(b) In what way will the temperature of water at the bottom of a waterfall be different from the temperature at the top? Give a reason for your answer.   [2]

(c) A radar sends a signal to an aeroplane at a distance 45 km away with a speed 3 x 108 ms-1. After how long is the signal received back from the aeroplane?   [2]

(d) Draw a ray diagram to illustrate the determination of the focal length of a convex lens using an auxiliary plane mirror.   [2]

(e) What is meant by primary colours? Name the primary colours of light.   [2]

Question 3   [2]

(a) (i) Sketch a graph to show the change in potential difference across the ends of an ohmic resistor and the current flowing in it. Label the axes of your graph.

(ii) What does the slope of the graph represent?
Question 3

(b) Draw a labelled diagram of the staircase wiring for a dual control switch showing a bulb in the circuit.   [2]

(c) The electrical gadgets used in a house such as bulbs, fans, heater, etc, are always connected in parallel, NOT in series. Give two reasons for connecting them in parallel.   [2]

(d) An electrical heater is rated 4 kW, 220V. Find the cost of using this heater for 12 hours if one kWh of electrical energy costs Rs. 3.25.   [2]

(e) State one point of similarity and one point of difference between an a.c. generator and a d.c. motor.   [2]

Question 4
Two isosceles right-angled glass prisms are placed near each other as shown in the figure.

(a) Complete the path of the light ray entering the first isosceles right-angled glass prism till it emerges from the second identical prism.   [2]

(b) A certain quantity of ice at 0oC is heated till it changes into steam at 100oC. Draw a time-temperature heating curve to represent it. Label the two phase changes in your graph.   [2]

(c) What is meant by work function of a metal?   [2]

(d) What is radioactivity?   [2]

(e) Mention any two differences between nuclear energy and chemical energy.   [2]

SECTION II (40 Marks)
Attempt any four questions from this Section
Question 5   [3]

(a) (i) A stone of mass 64.0 g is thrown vertically upward from the ground with an initial speed 20.0 m/s. The gravitational potential energy at the ground level is considered be zero. Apply the principle of conservation energy and calculate the potential energy at the maximum height attained by the stone. (g = 10 m s-2)

(ii) Using the same principle, state what will be the total energy of the body at its half-way point?
Question 5

(b) Define 'joule', the SI unit of work and establish relationship between the SI and CGS unit of work.   [3]

Question 5   [4]

(c) (i) Draw a labelled diagram of a block and tackle system of pulleys with two pulleys in each block. Indicate the directions of the load, and effort and tension in the string.

(ii) Write down the relation between load and the effort of the pulley system.
Question 6

(a) What is meant by the 'aperture' and 'shutter speed' of a camera? How are they related?   [3]

Question 6   [3]

(b) (i) Draw a labelled ray diagram to illustrate (1) critical angle (2) total internal reflection, for a ray of light moving from one medium to another.

(ii) Write a formula to express relationship between refractive index of the denser medium with respect to rarer medium and its critical angle for that pair of media.
Question 6   [4]

(c) (i) The diagram below shows a ray of light incident on an equilateral glass prism placed in minimum deviation position. Copy the diagram and complete it to show the path of the refracted ray and the emergent ray.

(ii) How are angle of incidence and angle of emergence related to each other in this position of the prism?
Question 7   [3]

(a) (i) What is meant by an echo? Mention one important condition that is necessary for an echo to be heard distinctly.

(ii) Mention one important use of echo.
Question 7   [3]

(b) (i) What is the name given to a cylindrical coil whose diameter is less in comparison to its length?

(ii) If a piece of soft iron is placed inside the current carrying coil, what is the name given to the device?

(iii) Give one use of the device named by you in (b) (ii) above.
Question 7   [4]

(c) (i) Sometimes when a vehicle is driven at a particular speed, a rattling sound is heard. Explain briefly, why this happens and give the name of the phenomenon taking place.

(ii) Suggest one way by which the rattling sound could be stopped.
Question 8   [3]

(a) (i) Why does a magnetic needle show a deflection when brought close to a current carrying conductor?

(ii) A wire bent into a circle carries current in an anticlockwise direction. What polarity does this face of the coil exhibit?
Question 8
(b) Three resistors 6.0 Ω, 2.0 Ω, and 4.0 Ω respectively joined together as shown in the figure. The resistors are connected an ammeter and to a cell of e.m.f. 6.0 V.

Calculate:   [3]

(i) the effective resistance the circuit.

(ii) the current drawn from the cell.
Question 8   [4]

(c) (i) How does the heat produced in a wire or a conductor depend upon the:
(1) current passing through the conductor.
(2) resistance of the conductor?

(ii) Draw a simple sketch of a step down transformer. Label the different parts in the diagram.
Question 9   [3]

(a) (i) Define heat capacity of a given body. What is its SI unit?

(ii) What is the relation between heat capacity and specific heat capacity of a substance?
Question 9
(b) A linear object is placed on the axis of a lens. An image is formed by refraction in the lens. For all positions of the object on the axis of the lens, the positions of the image are always between the lens and the object.   [3]

(i) Name the lens.

(ii) Draw a ray diagram to show the formation of the image of an object placed in front of the lens at any position of your choice except infinity.
Question 9

(c) A piece of ice of mass 40 g is dropped into 200 g of water at 50 oC. Calculate the final temperatue of water after all the ice has melted. (specific heat capacity of water = 4200 J/kg oC, specific latent heat of fusion of ice = 336 x l03J/kg)   [4]

Question 10   [3]

(a) (i)When does the nucleus of an atom become radioactive?

(ii) How is the radioactivity of an element affected when it undergoes a chemical change to form a chemical compound?

(iii) Name the product of nuclear fission which is utilized to bring about further fission of 23592U.
Question 10   [3]

(b) (i) Mention oneuse and one harmful effect of radioactivity.

(ii) Give one source of background radiation.
Question 10   [4]

(c) (i)

The above diagram shows an electron gun of a hot cathode ray tube,
l. Name the parts X and Y.
2. A 6 V d.c. source and a 1000 V d.c. source are available. Show how these sources should be connected to the terminals of X and Y so as to obtain a focused beam of fast moving electrons.

(ii) Give one use of a cathode ray tube.
nice games here

rayaa rahul mourya