Left Energy supplier when they say I was in contract

Started by MileyBaird, Apr 19, 2024, 05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MileyBaird

Recently went to change my commercial electricity suppler to make some much needed savings. Went through the procedure and got confirmation from my new supplier that I now have an account with them.
Now my old supplier has issued me with a " final "invoice with a €1000 exit penalty fee because they say I signed a 2 yr contract 18 mths ago. .
I had no recollection I was in any kind of contract so I asked them to email me a copy of the signed contracts.

I couldn't recognise my signature on the "agreement" and when I questioned this I was told that I signed electronically and that was used at the time to generate the " virtual signature ". Reluctantly , I'll have to take their word for that but I also noticed that the supplier hadn't signed or dated their side to the agreement on the copies they gave me.

What should I do. It's a bit of a mess I know but maybe somebody would advise ?

ClarkWillson

Is the extra €1000 exit fee due to come out of your IBAN instruction. If so I'd be stopping the direct debit whilst you are waiting for the Regulator to come back as suggested above by another contributor. If it's gone already it'll make it harder to get it back.

AleksKodra

That does sound like a frustrating situation with your old energy supplier. It's important to carefully review the terms of any contract you may have signed to understand your obligations.
Since you're unsure about the validity of the contract and your signature, it might be helpful to seek advice from a legal professional. They can review the contract and advise you on the best course of action.
In the meantime, if you're looking for ways to manage your energy costs more effectively, you might want to consider exploring options from Smarter Business. They offer insights and solutions to help businesses optimize their energy usage and reduce costs.