News:

MyKidsDiary.in :: Capture your kids magical moment and create your Online Private Diary for your kids

Main Menu

Database design for feeds

Started by RoderickHensley, Aug 04, 2023, 02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoderickHensley

Hi everyone,

We are creating a social network module for our application, and I have a question related to the design of a database for channels and notifications.

Right now, in our "UserProfile" data table, we have a data field called "userFeeds", which stores a list of "Channels". The purpose of this is so that when a user logs in, I can have a recurring group that would just load channels. We have already created a workflow in which only the last 100 repeated records will be stored in this channel list, while the oldest of them will be deleted.

However, I was told that it would be better if we kept this list as a separate data table instead of our UserProfile data table, because whenever I load a userProfile for other tasks, even when I don't need userFeeds records, Bubble loads it anyway, and this can lead to an impact on user interface. application performance and working units.

I would just like to ask the forum members here if there is a best practice for things like feeds and notifications?

elijahkrieger4

Wishing you success with your social network module and happy coding!

HarrisJacks

Creating a social network module sounds exciting! When it comes to database design for channels and notifications, optimizing performance is crucial.

Keeping the "userFeeds" list as a separate data table could indeed be a more efficient approach. It helps avoid unnecessary data loading and improves application performance. Storing just the last 100 records and regularly deleting the oldest ones is a good practice to manage data size.

To further enhance your database design, consider exploring purpose-built database software. It can offer specialized features tailored for social network modules, ensuring smoother user experiences and better application efficiency.