52 years of Apollo 11 mission: Here's Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin describe what

Started by NiveRoshni, Jul 20, 2021, 10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NiveRoshni

52 years of Apollo 11 mission: Here's Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin describe what it's like to be on Moon

The mission made Armstrong the first person to step on the Moon, while Buzz Aldrin was second as he joined his astronaut friend almost 19 minutes later. The spaceflight was piloted by another Nasa astronaut Michel Collins.

Tuesday marks 52 years of the Apollo 11 mission that carried three US astronauts to the Moon and landed them on the surface of the planet's satellite for the first time in human history. Mission commander Neil Armstrong and pilot Buzz Aldrin landed Apollo Lunar Module Eagle on July 20, 1969, as they took giant leaps for mankind.

Astronaut poses for a photograph beside the deployed United States flag during an Apollo 11 extravehicular activity (EVA) on the lunar surface.(NASA)

Here are some quotes by the astronauts from past briefings and interviews as they describe the "lunatic" experience":

"I was surprised by the apparent closeness of the horizon," Armstrong said after mission while describing his experience, as per an AFP report. "I was surprised by the trajectory of dust that you kicked up with your boot, and I was surprised that even though logic would have told me that there shouldn't be any, there was no dust when you kicked. You never had a cloud of dust there," he added.

Source : https://www.hindustantimes.com/science/52-years-of-apollo-11-mission-here-s-neil-armstrong-buzz-aldrin-describe-what-it-s-like-to-be-on-moon-101626754215200.html