News:

Choose a design and let our professionals help you build a successful website   - ITAcumens

Main Menu

Pros and Connections toa wired Network

Started by thiruvasagamani, Jul 17, 2008, 05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thiruvasagamani

The Wired Network Approach

Alright, I know there are quite a number of readers who have this kind of setup at home. I used to be on of them. This is the traditional setup for any network that exists and all networks contain at least in some part a wired portion contained within. But is this really a practical solution for home user? Let's see some of the Pros and Cons of this type of setup.

The Pros to a Wired Network

Cost

Although it can be somewhat expensive wiring the entire house, it is still the most inexpensive solution in terms of networking, which makes it very appealing.

Reliability

If everything is connected correctly in terms of wiring, you should hardly ever run into a problem on the cabling end.

Speed

Although wireless has made a great improvement from the 802.11b standard to 802.11g, it still cannot match the speeds that are now being introduced by new advancements in cabling technology. With speeds now hitting around 10 gigabits per second with category 6 cabling, wireless can not keep up at the moment.

The Cons to a Wired Network

Setup

Let's face it, not everyone is a network professional and if you try to setup up a network at home and have no clue at what your doing, your going to run into problems.

Lack of mobility / flexibility

By far one of the biggest cons of the wired setup. The need to have a cable to access the internet everywhere in the house can cause problems and wiring nightmares.

Wiring messes

I don't know about most people but I already have enough wires running behind my computer and my entertainment system and any way I could reduce it would be welcomed. And if you want to connect something without a nearby network jack, running a long cable to your Xbox or PC is not the most appealing thing for guests to see.
Thiruvasakamani Karnan