News:

Choose a design and let our professionals help you build a successful website   - ITAcumens

Main Menu

G Suite going to stop supporting LSA (Less Secure Apps)

Started by Kalyan, Dec 17, 2019, 03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalyan

Starting February 15, 2021, G Suite accounts will only allow access to apps using OAuth. Password-based access will no longer be supported.

To strengthen G Suite accounts against hijacking attempts, we'll be turning off access to apps that can access Google accounts with only a username and password, called Less Secure Apps (LSA).

Access will be turned off in stages, according to the following timeline:

June 15, 2020 - Users who try to connect to an LSA for the first time will no longer be able to do so. This includes third-party apps that allow password-only access to Google calendars, contacts, and email such as CalDAV, CardDAV and IMAP. Users who have connected to LSAs prior to this date will be able to continue using them until usage of all LSAs is turned off.

February 15, 2021 - Access to LSAs will be turned off for all G Suite accounts.

What do my customers need to do?

To continue using email, contacts, or calendar tools with their G Suite accounts, customers need to switch to a more secure type of access called OAuth. This connection method allows apps to access account information with a digital key instead of requiring users to reveal their username and password. Instructions for updating email, contacts, and calendar apps are included in the customer message below.
What can I do to support my customers?

We've contacted your affected customers about this change. To better prepare your customers, we recommend taking the following actions as soon as possible:

Carefully review the notification we sent to your customers (copied below). It includes details about switching to third-party apps that use OAuth to securely access G Suite account information.

Follow up with your customers to provide additional support as needed.

Thanks for choosing G Suite.