Top 5 best selling cars in 2014

Started by bellaedwardwriter, Dec 26, 2014, 04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellaedwardwriter

The year is about to end and manufacturers are planning for the coming year. Various offers are in the market luring customers to buy the 2014 model of the cars. But, it is not this sales that matters most, but the overall year performance for the manufacturers. We sum up the year by bringing a list of top 5 selling cars in India in 2014 based on their sales results.

Maruti Suzuki Alto

Ever since its launch in India in 2000, Maruti Alto has become a success in the local automotive markets. Maruti used to sell 800 as the cheapest car from the manufacturer and the Alto was placed one slot above the 800. But customers who were not willing to buy 800, chose Alto above other cars. And since 2006, it has been the best selling car in the Indian markets, so much so that currently it sells more than 20000 units a month. In 2014 alone, the Alto didn't come down to the Number 2 position for the whole year, even after they launched the all new Alto K10 with an Automatic gearbox. The success could be credited to the very fact that the K10 is the cheapest offering from the brand and the finish and quality has increased manifold since its inception. Currently, Alto is available with an 800cc unit and a 1 litre engine in India and offers the cheapest automatic gearbox in the country.

Maruti Suzuki Swift

Swift is undeniably the king of the hatchbacks in the country. Maruti launched the Swift way back in 2005 and it instantaneously started to rule the hatchback market in India. The Swift was loved by Indian customers so much so that back in the day, every 1 out of the 3 premium hatchback was Swift. Maruti gave Swift a much desired facelift in December 2011 and the new car was a world apart. With those swept back headlamps, bulged rear and top class interiors, it was a rage among the buyers. And the 2014 sales numbers are enough to prove the point. Before a mild facelift was unveiled in October this year, Swift was already doing 15000 units a month, which is an incredible number. The occasional ups and downs of the sales figures moved Swift from 2nd position to 4th position, but it never went down the 5th position in the top selling car list.

Maruti Suzuki Dzire

The only sedan to grace its presence on the list is none other than Maruti Suzuki Dzire. Based on the Swift platform, the Dzire was essentially a Swift with a boot, but the next generation Dzire dropped the Swift badge and so did it redesigned itself to a point that the car looked a completely new design. The new Dzire is the cheapest sedan offering in India and it will not be wrong to say that the Dzire started the trend of hatchback with a boot, which later all the major auto manufacturers followed. The success of Dzire is so much so that it outsells Swift most of the month and remain in top 3 selling cars in India. Dzire easily gets 16-18000 customers every month as against Swift's 15000 numbers. The success of Dzire also indicates one thing, that the Indian customers will always go for a sedan rather than a hatchback, if the price for both are same.

Maruti Suzuki Wagon R

Way before there was any premium hatchback in India, Wagon R was the utmost choice of the customers when they were looking for a spacious yet affordable car. Wagon R was launched with a tall-boy look and loads of space inside. The pricing around Rs 3 lakhs clicked the customers and to top it all was the Maruti's brand. Ever since its launch in December 1999, Wagon R has seen innumerous upgrades and versions. The initial years of Wagon R saw a 1.1 litre engine which was later replaced with a K-series 3-cylinder 1 litre engine. Wagon R is a consistent performer in the top selling car list is placed along side Swift with 14000-17000 units every month catering to customers.

Hyundai Grand i10

While the top 4 slots were easy to determine, it was tough to choose for the 5th car. There were three contenders for this place, Hyundai Grand i10, Mahindra Bolero and Hyundai Elite i20. While the Hyundai i20 performed consistently well, it was launched late in the second half and hence we can't consider the overall year. Bolero is the only SUV on the list, a proud moment for M&M, but it was facing ups and downs very frequently, so the only option left was Grand i10, which performed consistently overall. Ever since Hyundai launched the big brother of i10 hatchback, it is a hit among the buyers, considering the amount of space and features they are getting the price range. To top it all, the brand name of Hyundai has sold enough cars in India, since they are just next to Maruti in overall sales numbers. They also have one of the largest sales and service network in India and the new Fluidic design is helping with sales of the cars.

Source : Autoportal India

Sudhakar

Nice share. Keep sharing.

I though ford figo was most awarded for this year and i though it was number one car in 2014.

Also honda amaze was sold to more than 1.10 lakh vehicles since it launch. But both the cars were not there in your top list.

Surprising...

ganeshbala

Ford figo was most awarded car in hatchpack during 2009-2010..
i hope every year the award goes to each brand. ford, chevrolet, hyundai, honda.

Honda amaze is best selling and awarded this recent year... ..
I dont know why...
But still Indian car company(Maurti) tops the list every year... wonder !!  ???????

dhoni

its ok but wagon r are not best sell

the are simply cheating us to cover and sell more car