B.Tech Computer Science & Engineering System Programming Question paperFOUR YEAR B.TECH DEGREE EXAMINATION, APRIL 2008
Third year examination
Computer Science & Engineering
(Revised Regulations w.e.f 2003-2004)
Time: 3 Hours Maximum Marks: 100
Answer any ONE question from each Unit
All questions carry equal marks
1. (a) What are the data structures required for a two pass assembler? Explain the format of the data structures used by two pass assembler.
(b) What are control section and program blocks? With an example, show the assembling of SIC program using control sections
2. (a) What are assembler directives? Explain the purpose of the following pseudos
(i) USE (ii) BASE (iii) EXTRER (iv) ORG (v) LTORG
(b) Explain the design of a one pass assembler.
3. (a) Explain the design of linking loader with pass1 and pass2 algorithms
(b) What are Bootstrap loaders?
4. (a) List the features of MSDOS linker
(i) Absolute loaders
(iii) Program linking
5. (a) Explain the functions to be performed by the macro processor
(b) Explain the design of one pass macroprocessor with an algorithm or flowchart
6. (a) Explain the machine independent macro processor features
(b) Differentiate subroutines and macros
7. (a) Discuss the issues to be considered for designing a device driver for a dot matrix printer
(b) Are device drivers device dependent or device independent? Justify your answer.
8. Explain the issues involved in design of a device driver for:
(i) Test Data Generator (Character device)
9. (a) Write short notes on UNIX device drivers
(b) Discuss the issues involved in designing a device drivers for a device drivers for SCSI disks
10.(a) Compare the design issues to be considered for designing a device driver for a character oriented device and a block oriented device.
(b) How are device drivers designed for RAM Disk drive?