2007 Tamil Nadu State Sociology Madurai kamaraj University M.A 1st year Examination May 2006 Question PapersMAY 2006 First YearPRINCIPLES OF SOCIOLOGY
Time: Three hours Maximum: 100 marks
Answer any FIVE of the following.
1. Explain the nature, scope and relationship of sociology with other social sciences.
2. Define society and discuss the importance of society for the existence of individual.
3 . Trace out the characteristics and types of social groups with suitable examples.
4. What is meant by social institution? Discuss marriage and family as institutions.
5. Define social stratification. Discuss how caste becomes a basis of stratification.
6. Describe the ,various theories of social change.
7. Define culture and explain the various functions of culture.
8. Write the salient features of associative social processes.
9. What are social norms, folkways, mores and laws? Explain their role in human societies.
10. Write short notes on any TWO of the following: (a) cultural lag (b) polygamy (c) role and status