M.B.A. DEGREE EXAMINATION, JUNE 2008
(for the candidates admitted from 2007 onwards)
QUANTITATIVE TECHNIQUES FOR MANAGEMENT
MAXIMUM: 100 Marks
Answer any FIVE questions
ALL Questions carry equal marks. (5*20 =100)
1. Discuss the various mathematical models.
2. (a) What is Linear programing problem? What are its assumptions?
(b) Solve the Linear programing problem by graphical method.
Maximise Z = 3X +4Y
2X + 3Y< 6
6X + 4Y > 24
X,Y > 0.
3. Explin the various methods to find initial solution for transporation problem with an example.
4. What is normal distribution? Explain the properties of normal distribution.
5. (a) What are the assumptions made in a waiting line method?
(b) Explain the structure of M/M/1 Model for infinite population.
6. Write short notes on:
(a) Decision theory
(b) Decision trees
7. Find the optimum order quantity for a product for which price breas are as follows:
Quantity Price per unit
0 < Q1 < 500 10
500 < Q2 9
The monthly demand for the product is 200 units, the cost of storage 15 2% of the unit cost and
the odering coat is Rs. 350.
8. Two firms re competing for business under the conditions so that one firm's gain is another firm's
loss. Firm A's pay off mastrix is given below.
FIRM A NO MEDIUM HEAVY
ADVERTISING ADVERTISING ADVERTISING
ADVERTISING 10 5 (-2)
ADVERTISING 13 12 15
ADVERTISING 16 14 10
Suggest optimal strategies for two firmsand the net outcome thereof.